Carpal tunnel

Posted , 7 users are following.

Morning to all I've been on this site for a little while and so many negative feed backs I too is waiting for a date for surgery to the wrist but I don't think I may bother

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Ignore negitive feedback but like labour people tell the awfull stories .i am a coward won't even go to dentist and I had both my hands done a yr ago and would do it again was not at all painfull and no problems after either ,go and have done you won't ever look back
  • Posted

Hi

you need to remember that the people who have problems tend to be the ones who shout. The thousands of successful ops. are too busy enjoying a pain free life to spend much time on here. I had mine 18 months ago and the relief was instant and sustained. The op. is quick and simple with no pain, the recovery the same. I flew to Dubai at 9 days!

go for it

regards Elaine

• Posted

Thanks Elaine but on the site it looks like surgeons have made it worse although, your the second person in here with a positive. And I've looked at dozens thanks
    • Posted

I've had carpal tunnel on and for 4 years went to the doctor and injected the wrist, which left my middle finger numb it wasn't like that when i went and still the same after 4 months so makes you wonder to take the risk after all this negativity my doctor has made it worse and had injected in the vein by the sound of things, and not a good feeling to this day it's like water under the skin
  • Posted

Hi

I am commenting on your discussion regarding whether to go for your surgery and the comments on how people who are giving their personal views of their ops as shouters?? Please yes I am waiting to go back to see if i have to go for further surgery but yes their are thousands of amazing results but yes there are also bad results, this is an open patients forum and people come in here for help and advice even if to be here for one another!! I am not a shouter I am still suffering but I come on here like hundreds of others as this is normally a friendly place to meet and talk to others about their experiences. I have time in my hands at the moment as I have just had a total hysterectomy and talking to people in the patient forum is getting me through this and I have also met and still speaking to some lovely people. Sorry for the rant but have a bit if respect for people offering their experiences.

Nicola

• Posted

Yes totally agree but do doctors and surgeons can make mistakes they always make you consent etc just in case they make an error but makes you wonder
    • Posted

Hi

Yes I understand that doctors and surgeons tend to say "the operation was a success" but on numerous occasions they are not and surgery it needed again, all I can say is if I need it again I will have the surgery again hon x please let us know what you decide and we will be here to help you along the way x take care speak soon x

• Posted

As you can see from the spread of replies so far there are both good and bad results from surgery and the only way to deal with this rationally is with statistics rather than personal anecdotes. The base probabililty of a really good result from carpal tunnel surgery overall is about 80% - ie 4 out of 5 people get really good results long term. You can improve these odds by choosing your cases for surgery well. It helps of course if the diagnosis is really certain, if you are younger, have no other significant hand problems such as small joint arthritis or trigger digits, are not diabetic etc. The outcomes are also worse if the CTS is allowed to progress to it's most severe because some of the nerve damage is then irreversible. You can read about this in much more detail on my website and we are currently working on a system which may allow you to work out your own personalised likelihood of a successful result - but that is not online yet I'm afraid. Dr J Bland
    • Posted

I an't put a link in here because of the moderation but either follow the link from the resources section of this website, or go to NHS choices and follow the link from there, or google carpal-tunnel and look down tht list a bit - if you are in the UK it is usually about 7th to 11th on the list, or search for 'failed carpal tunnel surgery' - in which case it is usually the top two hits. Dr J Bland
  • Posted

Just wanted to let you all know that Dr. Jeremy Bland's website was invaluable to me before surgery to get a realistic idea of what I could expect from the surgery and the possible complications as well.  A huge thanks to Dr. Bland for his site !!  

I also wanted to let you know that in addition this fabulous support group there is a wonderful Facebook support group with over 1,400 members....very active and and helpful information.  It's called I Survived Carpal Tunnel Surgery.

So guys take heart....there is a lot of cyber support available to  you !  smile

• Posted

Hi

Glad you got the support.

I couldn't find his site. Maybe you can direct me.

I am having surgery on the 8th

• Posted

The difficulty is that patient co uk will not allow people to post links in it's forums without moderation and it take several days usually for them to check a post and agree that a link is OK. There is a link that you can follow from their resources section. One approach, at least if you are in OK is to google "failed carpal tunnel surgery" - rather depressingly my site will usually be the top two hits as there seem to be very few sites which realistically address the problems of those patients who are left in a mess by the operation. You can also follow a link from nhs choices which is quite easy to find. 

Dr J Bland

• Posted

ANother thing about patients co uk - you can't edit a post. I meant to say UK not OK! Another way to find my site is to type this text into your search engine "This site is maintained by a doctor with a longstanding research interest in CTS" - that is the first piece of body text on the home page and most search engines will then take you to it as the first hit.

Dr J Bland

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.