Carpal Tunnel symptom?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I am currently seeking answers and support to a variety of musculoskeletal health issues.

​The folks who have been helping me on another forum discussion have suggested that my symptoms might be indicative of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (see: Do I have RA? https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-i-have-ra--489300?page=0#1839252​)

​I have tried the classic test of keeping my hands suspended above me for two minutes and yes, my hands were in a state of tingling and partial numbness.

I have been obviously very curious about my symptoms and been observing other responses to manoeuvre​s I perform. I was hoping you good people could give me your opinion about the following:

​When I stretch out my arms straight in front of me, I then lift the hands so the palms are directly facing away from me. If I then lower them (either gently or quickly) to their inital position - that is, with the fingers pointing straight ahead, so the whole arm and hand is at 180 degrees - I observe a very noticeable amount of shaking and oscilation, whilst lowering the hands.

​Does this seem like a symptom of carpal tunnel - or is it normal for all folks?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That description of shaking is not especially characteristic of CTS but neither does it rule it out. Go through the symptom questionnaire on my website and it will give you a fairly accurate estimate of the probability that you have CTS. The address is in the right hand sidebar here under 'related information' - Dr J Bland
    • Posted

Thank you Dr Bland, I will certainly give this a go.

Can you advise whether it is possible that the weakness, tingling and heavy increase in joint cracking I'm experiencing could be linked to an upper back problem I've had since the summer? It's location seems to be centred on the area next to my spine, in the middle of my back, slightly lower than my shoulder blades. The injury has undoubtedly caused tightness, sometimes severe, around my shoulders and neck - usually on the right side.

• Posted

To affect your arms a spine problem really has to be in the neck. CTS does not usually cause significant tremor. JB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.