Carpel tunnel release surgery recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had surgery done on both hands on October 13th , it went really well my symptoms went straight away, but since my surgery my scars which are about3" long still feel sore and sting after about 3 hours of being awake, I get alot of pain each side of my palms and am very week with them i.e. When doin every day things , the more I do the more they hurt including driving, and my scar gets very tight, I've had physio on them for about 3 months and I'm still suffering a lot , my surgeon keeps telling me it takes time but 4 months after surgery surely this should be getting better not worse, also I get an electric shock in my index fingers every time I reach out for something sad the surgeon says this is not related but I disagree, I deeply regret having them done at this stage as I had a better life before it was done , even if I couldn't feel my hands. I can't even work and have been off sick for nearly 6 months and really want to go back but in my line of work it's dangerous and very painful and really don't know what to do next, can anyone out there advise me on what they think I should do, I'm so upset and depressed about the way i feel every day with the pain and not having a normal life

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,I had mine done 2 yrs ago and don't worry about scars they will heal ,I also got shocks like putting my hand in a plug socket ,it would happen more when I reached out such as reaching for items in a supermarket and also if I got cold ,again they told me it was nothing to do with the op ,I did get back to work and the team got use to me shouting out when I got shocks ,2 yrs now and just 2 weeks ago I had op for ulna nerve ,that does cause shock symtoms and tingling so ask dr to check that ,but it's early days and would not want to put anyone off but it's been the most painfull thing I have ever had and don't think I would recommend it ,but it is connected to carpol tunnel .let me know how you get on
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Hun , I thought it was just me, I want to go back to work but it's just impossible at the min , and I knew the shocks were to do with the op
  • Posted

Hello dear

I've experienced such electric shooting pain post ct surgery

My surgeon gave me vitamin b complex with a medicine for nerves and thanks God it worked

It was so disappointing and painful but it took three week to heal

Now it's gone though my hand feels sore and numb so frequent

Ask your doctor to give you any medication to heal the nerve

Take care

• Posted

I had surgery in November scar just over 1/2 inch the stitches opened up and took about two months to heal. No phisio but no pain from day one of operation I'm not sure why your incisions are three inch long. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.