Carpet tunnel pre op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm due to have surgery on my right hand next month. Can someone please tell me what they do pre op. Do they just inject your hand to numb it? Also do they give you a sling for a few days please.. Many thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

They numb it and says it stings that's rubbish u feel nothing but a prick ,once it's numb that's it they out blood pressure cap round arm and start it's amazing u feel nothing ,with in 20 min your out ready to go home .yes they will give u a sling but I never used it
  • Posted

Hi

the injection is really powerful and mine did not wear off for 48 hours which worried me as I had not been warned that it could take so long. This was good though as I did not need pain killers at all. There are different schools of thought regarding slings. My guy did not use them as you can end up with a stiff elbow from not moving it.your hand will be wrapped in a huge bandage and the length of time that is left on varies but mine was 48 hours. Again the last thing they want to do is cause stiffness in other joints. Made good sense to me and I wriggled my fingers and moved my hand as much as possible from the word go. You should listen to your body, if you try and do too much too soon it will tell you but the more you do the less risk of side effects of stiffness. The miracle of sleeping through the night with no pain makes it all worth while. Let us know how it goes

Good luck

Regards Elaine

• Posted

To me it was easy just they put a cuff on my upper hand and injected me with anesthesia . I didn't feel anything except the surgeon's hand touching my hand

I stayed there for two hours and went home

The actual surgery time took only ten minutes

Good luck with your surgery and get well soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.