Cartiva - Has anyone had it?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I'm looking looking at looking at getting looking at getting this. Anyone with experience here?

4 likes, 836 replies

836 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Cartiva is being used to replace the big toe proximal joint...are you considering this replacement?
    • Posted

Cartiva is a synthetic cartilage replacement, not a joint replacment.

Yes, I am looking at having this. Trying to find someone that has had it already and their experience.

Thanks.

• Posted

I am having it done at Penn in Philly this Wednesday. I will let you know how I make out!
    • Posted

Awesome! Best wishes to you!!

Thank you for posting!!

I have a consult in 3 weeks to discuss having this too.

• Posted

Hi Krista, Did you have this done yet? I had my surgery 5 days ago. Too early to tell how I will progress. I am in bed icing and elevating and using crutches. Good Luck
    • Posted

Virginia,

Who's the surgeon at Penn, I would like to set an appointment?

Thanks

• Edited

Thank you! I am actually pretty excited to about this new option and getting this done an over with. Seems like a much better option then a fusion and the recovery is much better too! I will let you know how I make out. If you are near the Philadelphia area I am having it done by Dr. Wapner.
    • Posted

Hi Virginia,

It's been almost a month - just wondering how you're doing? How did it go?

Wishing you the best!!

• Posted

Hi Krista,  I am doing great. Having surgery and being off your feet is tuff regardless but It was bearable esp since I was able to keep my foot elevated and iced for almost two weeks which is important for a quick recovery. I just used crutches when I needed to get up. I was walking on my heel, within a week and full weight bearing by two weeks! I can start driving and wearing sneaks Monday which is almost a month after surgery. I do therapy on my toe every day bending it back and forth and although its a little stiff its moving well and I expect it to only get better if I keep up with the therapy. I am still convinced this is the only way to go considering the options. Feel free to check back in with me and I will keep you posted as time goes on since that will be the real test!! smile

• Posted

Hi! I could not believe my eyes when I read this.I had Cartiva with Dr. Wapner on March 1. I have been in bed icing and elevating for the past 5 days. I dont have any pain at this point. It just feels stiff. I have minor swelling. Do you think I need to continue icing? I tried to heel walk today and it is too difficult. Not because of pain but because the shoe he gave me feels clumsy. Is it too early? I would like to know how you are doing now. Did you get your foot in your normal size sneaker or did you have to go up a size or width? Are you back to your normal activities? I can't wait for your reply! 

• Posted

Hi Rosalyn, Good to hear from you. I had my surgery on Feb 1st and am doing great. Starting back at the gym tomorrow after only 1 month (bike only)! I would suggest icing and elevating (toes to nose) for a full two weeks if you can. That's a big part of recovery even if it's not swollen. It will continue to swell here and there most likely. Give it time and let it heal. I walked on my heel with only the surgical shoe for a good 3 weeks since that what Dr. Wapner said I then wore my birkenstocks around the house for about a week but I really didn't walk much in general. It seems like a long time but it will be over before you know it. I started wearing my same sized sneaks one month after the surgery. Now I am walking almost normal. A little pain here and there but not much. I am not allowed to do any jumping/aerobics for another month but overall I couldn't be happier. No comparison to the option of fusing my toe!  

• Posted

How was the bike? Did you have any pain with it? I am a group fitness instructor and I hope to be able to get back to teaching classes and do what I love. You are giving me hope and I started icing after reading your reply to me. Was your shoe Wapner gave you after surgery the beige one with 2 Velcro strips? It does not stay on my foot. Have a good day!
    • Posted

The bike was just fine. No pain! Give it time you'll get there. My shoe was the beige one with velcro.  I didn't have problems with it staying on for the most part.  It was akward to walk in but it stayed on. I wore a sneak on the other foot and that helped. Hang in there you'll be better before you know it!

• Posted

Hi Virginia.  I just had my cartiva implant surgery on Tuesday in Kansas City (we live in St Louis) and i'm curious how you're doing now?  I'm already weight bearing on my heel in the boot when walking, starting Pt in a few days.  Elevate when i'm not needing to be up, but it's going well WITH PAIN MEDS!  it definitely hurts but i'm hopeful this is the beginning of the end of my toe pain!

• Posted

Hi Rosalyn. I just had my cartiva implant surgery on Tuesday in Kansas City (we live in St Louis) and i'm curious how you're doing now?  I'm already weight bearing on my heel in the boot when walking, starting Pt in a few days.  Elevate when i'm not needing to be up, but it's going well WITH PAIN MEDS!  it definitely hurts but i'm hopeful this is the beginning of the end of my toe pain!

• Posted

Hi Kathie. I am doing much better. I have very mild pain when walking and swelling later in the day after being up and around for several hours. When I am up I am running around all day.   I think it is surgical recovery pain in the soft tissues and tendons. I have very good range of motion. I mainly wear a sneaker. I have worn a sandal a few times but my foot swells up pretty quickly if not in a sneaker or birkenstock. Im not fully recovered yet but I can see the light. How are you doing?
    • Posted

Hi Kathie,

?I am trying to find a surgeon to do the Cartiva Implant.  I am from St. Louis and am interested in who did your surgery in Kansas City?  I met with a dr in Columbia MO, Dr. Klieber but there appear to be issues with BJC hospitals. Any infor would be so helpful.   

• Posted

so sorry....didn't see this till now....i went to Dr Alan Zonno in Lee's Summit, MO outsisde of KC. He is great.  My recovery is going well, although i reallly wish there wasn't as much pain....still hurts quite a bit...2 months tomorrow. good luck!

• Posted

Doing pretty well now. how about you?  2 months tomorrow for me. ROM has increased over time, pain has decreased but still lots more pain than i thought i would have.  still hard to ben that toe completely, PT says might not ever get that back.  sore if i'm up on feet alll day, last 2 PT sessions this week.

• Posted

Hi Virginia, not sure you are still looking at this but I have a consult w Dr Wapner tomorrow morning. I have a dislocaed big toe and would like to see if I am a candidate. Unfortunately this wil be my 4th surgery since the previous docs thought they fixed it but didn't. How are you feeling?? Do you have pain?? How does the bottom of the foot bed feel? and what type of felibility do you have?? Sorryy for all the questions but i need to know if i am a candidate. Hope your outcome is great and you are pain free.

• Posted

Hi I am having my surgery tomorrow.  I am just wondering if you have the big toe shortened? My doc does this now almost all patients.  He has done 11 and I think he just started doing this because it helps with pain? 
    • Posted

Hi Kathie - I had my cartiva implant with Dr Zonno as well.  Unfortunately I would not consider it successful as I have had zero relief in pain.

Hopefully you are doing better!

• Posted

Hi Therese, 

I just had my surgery in St. Louis last week, I was wondering if you ever found someone to do yours?

• Posted

Hi Virginia, 

​I started walking today without the crouches with the boot of course and from what I read it is a big deal to have leg up and icing for the first two weeks. But my walk felt great and should be better in two weeks. Thank for the information, Maria

• Posted

Hello. I was thinking about having the cartiva surgery and was curious if you have had any relief yet?  How long ago was your surgery?  Is your range of motion any better?
    • Posted

There are a large number of people on facebook who have had surgery and are considering it. You might want to join. I had it almost 4 months ago. It was a success. I gained all the range of motion back in my toe. It still hurts alittle but not as bad as it did pre surgery. The actual surgery only takes 30 minutes.
    • Posted

Good morning Kathie!!!  I just started on this forum....I had the cartiva implant about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I'm still in a boot and JUST started driving again.  My Dr. has not given me any PT instructions - mainly to elevate and ice as much as possible.  Anyway - I was just wondering if you had any stiffness at all in your toe joint.  I am still having a little swelling (although getting better), but the stiffness and the pain that goes along with the stiffness is a lot more than I expected.  It makes me nervous that I won't get my mobility back.  I had a lot of bone spurs and a large amount of arthritis buildup "hammered" off the side of my joint......maybe that is why it is still so sore and stiff.  Anyway - just curious as to how you're doing.  I'm from Wichita, KS  by the way :-)

• Posted

Debbie,

I’m from St. Louis and am interested in the Cartiva procedure. I was wondering who performed yours and would you recommend them? Also, hows the recovery?

• Posted

Donna, 

I had my surgery with Dr. Nadaud at Agility Orthopaedics. Yes I would recommend him. He did a good job. 

Recovery has taken a little longer than I expected. I live 2 1/2 hrs away from St. Louis and the PT’s weren’t familiar with this procedure. I think that had something to do with my recovery. 

My surgery was Oct. 1, and I’m still working on stretching and exercising every day on my own at home. 

My foot is still tender under my toe. 

But I’m under the impression that it can take up to a year for everything to be back to normal.

• Posted

Good evening Terry,

I just had this done 10 days ago and I also had a lot of bone spurs and a lot of   Arthritis on the ball of my foot as well. They did the implant and also shaved the Spurs and drilled several hole in the ball of me foot to help the Arthritis there. I am having terrible shooting pains around the big toe area? Did you have that as well?  I keep it elevated most of the day and ice it very often. I try and move the toe but when ever I do that’s when I get that shooting pain. I’m still in the boot and was also wondering how long it took for you to get out of it? When you did, did the doctor give you a different shoe to wear or just your own gym shoes? I was thinking of order a clog type shoe. Not sure if that’s a good idea. Would love to hear from you!

• Posted

Hi Laura!!  I was in my boot for about 8 weeks actually, and then I transitioned into a running shoe - and one with a wider shoe box (Nike typically has a wide toe box).  I cheated a little and started using a tennis shoe at about 7 weeks actually.  Anyway - you probably should be moving your toe - curling it and straightening it, HOWEVER, it WILL BE TENDER!!!  Do not over do it.  I still have a lot of stiffness and some pain in my toe joint.  I didn't have any microbrasions in my foot like you do, so I'm not surprised you are having quite a bit of pain there.  It is still very, very early for you - don't get impatient.  Keep that foot elevated above your heart and keep the ice on it as much as you possibly can. I am almost 3 months after my surgery and I'm STILL wearing tennis shoes.  I have some flat, round toes boots I can wear, but that's about it.  Anything that has too much restriction or anything where my toe tends to "jam" into my shoes - I cannot tolerate yet.  I am TERRIBLE at doing my exercises - so don't be like me.  When your Dr. gives you the ok - make sure you do your toe exercises.  I still find myself rolling my foot out when I walk - old habit from years of not having any ROM.  I still don't have much ROM, but my pain is soooooo much better.  Your's will get better too!!  Hang in there and don't push things before your Dr. gives you the ok.

• Edited

Hi Laura...I had bilateral Cartiva 6 weeks ago tomorrow.  They had to break both big toes to straighten them (I fell and broke them in May and they healed crooked)...scrape out the arthritis and spurs that I had.  At 3 weeks I got the stitches removed and was out of the surgical shoes.  Because of the toes being broke, I was told I still could not bend my toe joints for 3 more weeks while they healed.  I had to throw my weight to the outside of my foot or walk flat-footed.  I bought sneakers 1/2 size larger and wide rather than normal width.   I also bought Crox which were recommended by the physicians assistant.

I'm sorry you are in so much pain.  The ball of my foot has the most pain when I walk which is common after this surgery.  I can't imagine how much worse yours would be if they took out arthritis there also.  There is a facebook group for Cartiva patients that I found AFTER my surgery.  There someone suggested PediFix Pedi-gel Dancer's Pads which are resuable.  They made it much easier to walk.  I bought them online from Amazon.  Someone also suggested Jobst support knee highs which helped when I finally had my surgical shoes off.  I was back to work by week 3 (I work 3 days a week at a doctors office) and driving.

I was given Hydrocodone to take every 6 hours after surgery and was told to offset that with 600 mg of Ibuprofen in between at the 3 hour mark.  That seemed to control my pain.  I basically stayed in bed with my foot elevated above my nose for 3 weeks. which I think helped tremendously with the healing/swelling and lessen the pain.   They gave me 30 pain pills,  I only used about 15 over the first 2 weeks.

Wrapping your feet in ICE 20 min on and 20 min off is the best you can do for the swelling.  I wiggled my toes a lot as best I could from day one.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Debbie

• Posted

Debbie,

Thank you for responding. Wow I can't even imagine doing both feet at the same time. I have started bend the toes and curling it this week and after doing so it hurts so badly :-( . I get my stitches out on Thursday. Which will be 13 days post op. I did just go on Facebook and joined that group. Thank you for that information. I will go on Amazon and look at those Pads as well. 

I started back at work less then a week after surgery so maybe that is why i am having so much more pain. I have a desk job am I have a small ledge under my desk that I rest my foot on, but it is not that high. I only walk when i really need to. My co-workers have been so helpful. 

You must have a high tolerance to pain. I think I use more the 15 pills in the first few days. LOL.

Thank you for all this wonderful helpful information. 

Laura

• Posted

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your response. I hate this boot sure hope it not for 8 weeks, but I do see the benefits in staying it it longer. The doctor already has me doing the toes exercises, i can see why most people don't do them as the should. It causes a lot of pain. I am trying to make sure i do them so I can get the ROM back quicker. I love to walk everyday part of my fitness routine. the last year has been really hard to keep up with it, with how much pain I was in. but you know what they say, no pain no gain. I did purchase a pair of clog type shoe to have on hand when the Doctor gives my permission to switch. I will have to go out and buy some new gym shoes as well.

I am so happy I found this site. It has helped me get the answer I needed. 

Thank  you again

Laura

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I am having Cartiva surgery done in Pittsburgh in one week and am trying to still decide it I should get them both done at the same time. My doc has assured me he does it often.  I am curious how you were able to bathe. I was told by a nurse that the dressing is to remain on until 3 week follow up, and I am NOT to get it wet. (I am kind of wondering if she really knew what she was talking about)   I’m trying to figure out how one would be able to get a bath!   I live alone. Do you think I can manage on crutches to deal with all that is involved? I have a high tolerance for pain and am a pretty feisty independent soul. I am also petite and weigh about 130 lbs.  It sounds like you have managed pretty well. Thank you for posting and your suggestions were very helpful. I would appreciate any advice you might have for me.
    • Posted

Jennifer,

I was glad I had both done at one time so I only had one recovery, but my husband was home and helped me to the bathroom the first two days.  I did not have a "nerve block" though.  Some people do and they can walk out of the hospital and the pain doesn't hurt for two days.  If your doctor uses a nerve block, you might be fine.  They also broke both of my big does ABOVE where the implant was put in to straight them...one has a screw at the top joint and one has a staple at the top joint.  That "might" have made my pain more extreme.  By day 3 I could ambulate myself but it was a little hard.  I noticed on the facebook group some peole were put in a higher boot almost to their knee which looks like it might make walking easier.  You could ask for those rather than the sandals type of shoe I had.  I borrowed a walker and used that for the first week to get around easier.  Crutches are hard for me to manipulate.  You can walk on your heels without hurting the surgery.  I called and got permission to remove the bandages myself at the end of the first week because they were driving me crazy. I just had to keep it clean and dry.

My surgeon told me I could use plastic bags with a rubber band at the top of them to keep my feet dry while showering.  I did that for 3 days and then someone told  me about cast covers.  I ordered them from Amazon.  I bought the cheapest ones since I was buying two of them and they worked great.  I love baths, so by the second week, I lowered myself into our bathtub (the one that is not a soaker tub) after I put a little warm water in it, and sat sideways with my feet out with the case covers on and then filled it with the warm water.  But showers are easy with cast covers.

If you are afraid to have both done since you live alone, I think doing one at a time would be much easier since you can immediately walk on the good foot and heel walk with the other.  Just schedule the second one for 3 months down the road.  Both of my feet were also equally bad and painful....to the point that they were affecting my life and what I could do.

Yesterday was my 6 week checkup with x-rays and everything looked great.  I'm now allowed to bend the front of my feet.  It's a little painful but it needs to be done to break up the scar tissue.  Having the screw and staple in each foot prohibited me from bending my foot at 3 weeks like usual.  I could still walk with throwing my weight to the side of my feet or flat-foot walk, but not totally bend.  I asked for a script from PT because many on the facebook page said it made a world of difference once going to PT to stop the pain, even though it's painful to do the PT.

Good luck to you.  Make sure your surgeon has done quite a few of these and has had a good success rate.  On the facebook group there have been some failures. I asked the PA yesterday how many failures they have had and they have not had any.  If it fails, they have to do a fusion which I am totally not wanting.  Let me know if you have more questions.

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Abbe- I am scheduled for toe fusion surgery next month. I'm an active runner and am discouraged with the limitations I will have. I've been researching cartiva implant and am very interested. Did you have this surgery?  Did you have in Boston? Can you let me know who surgeon was and outcome of surgery? Thanks 

• Posted

Anna:  I also am a runner and had been optimistic that Cartiva Implant surgery might alleviate the increasing pain I have in my big toe due to osteoarthritis.  I met with a surgeon late Dec 2017 who affirmed I was a candidate for Cartiva.  I scheduled surgery for this coming April 3rd.  I have expressed all along to my surgeon my whole goal is to be able to keep running.  I'm 60 years old and definitely not a star runner.  I just enjoy running and want to continue as long as possible.  Well today, I just called the surgeon's office and canceled (for now) my surgery.  The more I read about the range of recovery issues and the very, very few examples I have been able to find of Cartiva Implant patients who have returned to running including long distance running, the more I was convinced I should defer for now.

?The procedure is still relatively new in the US.  I am not incapacitated by my arthritis of the toe and I can still run though with pain.  I am choosing to hold off awhile longer.  I'll keep reading about the experience of others and then re-evaluate my options in perhaps a year's time.

• Posted

I too have the same problem and met with my orthopedic surgeon on March 2. I'm in very little pain considering I've had this problem for 10+ years. He told me that when the pain starts affecting your daily activities then it's time to do something. Right now I'm considering a fusion instead of cartiva. He also told me the Cartiva recovery is not easy and some of his patients still have pain after 5 months.

• Posted

Jennifer I live in Pittsburgh as well and am considering having the Cartiva surgery on one toe. Can you tell me which surgeon you are going to and if you know, how often has she/he performed this surgery. Also any update from your surgery that you care to share would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Posted

I’m a 45 year old male. I love to run but have not been able to (without significant pain) in the last 2 years. I have had both a chilectomy and an oesteotomy, neither of them provided relief for long. I went back to the podiatrist once I could no longer walk without pain and he said fusion was next. I hated the idea as I know it can seriously limit the ability to run or well, anything later on. I got three opinions and all said fusion. That last doc was trained in the Cartiva procedure and said I would be a good candidate. 

I jumped (metaphorically) at the chance. My procedure was done on February 28th. I walking in my postal op shoe that day and while I am not near done healing, I already have more flexibility in that toe than I’ve had in 2 plus years. I can’t say whether I’ll ever run ad well as I used to but man, it is nice to have the chance to try. 

Good luck everyone! 

• Posted

Tony,

I had mine done on 12/6./17 so I'm a little over 3 months out. I can tell you make sure you exercise your toe move it & bend a lot. I still have some pain and stiffness but each week it improves and the key is to really keep working it. I also had a foot and leg massage to help with the swelling and it helps brake down scar tissue and feels great. Don't get discouraged it just takes time.  Good Luck I hope your out running soon! 

• Posted

My procedure was done on Feb 27 and my swelling is awful, despite icing. Pain is not at the site of the incision, but on the ball of my foot. I had the Cartiva implant and the "bump" on the side of my foot is still there. Surgeon said all is fine (they did an xray last week) and that the swelling can take up to a year to subside. I begin PT tomorrow, but I cannot get into a shoe at all. Very, very frustrating. I was never on crutches and now I think maybe I should have been. I was in the big post-op boot that went to my knee and now in the post-op shoe, which isn't very heavy. Pain meds - only took 5 post-op and some ibuprofen. So, from that standpoint, it wasn't bad - for me it's the swelling and pain on the bottom of my foot. Hopefully PT will help.  Hope your recovery is swift!

• Posted

Thanks.. I am still taking the ibuprofen...no more pain meds... good luck to you as well
    • Posted

Hi Lorjie,

While my surgery was more than just the cartiva and I was in a cast and non- weight bearing for 2 weeks, I made sure the 22-23 hours hours a day my foot was elevated over my heart. No ice used due to cast. But when the cast came off, very little swelling. So based on my experience, I think elevation is more important than icing. I realize everyone is different and everyone surgery is different too. But this was my experience. After the cast came off, the more it was down, the more it would swell.

I wish you the very best with your recovery.

• Posted

Did you have both done at the same time?

I cannot imagine doing that as I was so immobile with the required elevation.  You'd really need a big support team to tend to you and your bedpan needs.

Hope it all went well

• Posted

I'm in Boston, My surgeon was John Guirini head of podiatry at Beth Isreal.  He did my other foot a few years back too and it recovered well

• Posted

Any update? I too am a runner and I’m considering having this procedure. 
    • Posted

Thank you everyone for your Cartiva personal stories. Terry, your story saved me today. I'm 5 weeks out, and have been discouraged all week, crying allot, because of my pain level increase. But I'm really working my toe, painfully walking slow, PT, moving it, stretching it allot. Icing every hour. Very swollen still. Incision area looks super, Dr. used (dissolving stitches on the inside) but very tender and nerves still sparkly when I massage/touch my foot. Did have a major set back, with acute allergic reaction to the glue in the steri strips, oozing blisters, pain and itching for 2 weeks. Good to know everyone heals at a different pace and these Doctors have different time frames on when to start PT and apply pressure and walking, etc.. My Dr. only had done one other Cartiva and she said the patient wanted to return to running after 3 weeks. Omg! I can't imagine. I could not think about putting that boot on one more time yesterday, so I put soft slippers on, hobbled to the sports store and discovered Altra running sneaks. Super wide, no pressure toe area..Heaven!!!!!!! I recommend them highly! I bought half size up to fit my thick socks and a bandage. Like walking on a cloud and the uppers are very sock/mesh like. I didn't want to take them off. Anyway, I still have a long way to go in the pain arena, but I can bend and point my toe more now then the past few years. Stay strong all you gals that live alone, I know we will heal and have a much better quality of life, and hopefully put this foot surgery behind us for 20 years!

Thanks again! Hope you're better every day, and keep us up to date, knowing others are out there really does help my attitude!!

• Posted

Hi Donna: Just wondering if you are still happy with having had the procedure - and trusting you have now fully recovered? Are you glad you had it done? Also, I am hoping you can tell me if insurance covered your procedure. Would appreciate any insights. I'm in St. Louis also. Thanks!

• Edited

NO. I WISH I nevered had that implant. Im 3 weeks out from having corrective surgery. I was worse off after the cativa surgery than before I had it. 3 weeks after taking it out and getting a different joint, I can walk and wear shoes.

• Edited

I wish I'd never had the implant. It failed and I'm in much more pain now and limp. Had I known or would be so much worse I would have lived with the (what I realize now was) minimal pain and reduction of range of motion. It's been 11 months now, and I'm a cripple. don't do it!

• Posted

Hi Debbie - a friend had this surgery and was surprised to see an image of a screw in her post op xray - is it typical to have a screw remaining 3 months post op? I see that your post is from last year; I hope that you have had success with this procedure. THanks in advance! Michele

• Posted

IM THINKING ABOUT HAVING THIS SURGERY I WAS WONDERING HOW YOU ARE DOING 2 years later and who did your surgery

• Posted

I had my surgery completed almost 2 years ago and am still having swelling, pain and very limited flexibility. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks with a different specialist to see what other options I have besides a fusion. I am looking at the arthrosurface implant as was recommended by another patient on this blog. I would not recommend the Cartiva implant but everyone's experience is different. Good luck if this is the route you choose!

• Posted

hi Anna

i had mine done by Dr John Kwon at MGH and would recommend i play tennis which is why i didn't want to do fusion surgery I'm almost 6 mo out and got into a hiking boot/sneaker thus week and am starting to walk more comfortably Still hurts on the ball of my foot im doing some toe bending but am going to start PT soon to increase flexibility My jount is still swillen and stiff

good luck

• Posted

i meant Im almost 6 weeks out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.