Cataract repair

Posted , 2 users are following.

Pros and Cons of PanOptix vs Vivity? Has anyone tried Panoptix in one eye and Vivity in the other?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

PanOptix is a multifocal lens and can have optical side effects like halos, glare, and spiderwebs (a combination of both effects). I have a friend that has them in both eyes, and says the halos are "huge" at night and she does not feel comfortable driving at night. She also uses +1.75 D readers for reading books even in daylight. But, that is only one opinion, and some here report that they are great. I would put it in the higher risk category. Are you OK with the risk of these effects or not.

Vivity is a lens that extends the range of focus (EDOF), and has fewer optical side effect risks, but halos at reduced levels are a risk, and reduced contrast sensitivity at night is another.

I am not sure there is any advantage in combining the two of them. You might end up with the optical side effects of both.

Another thought is to use a monofocal set for distance in your dominant eye, and a Vivity in your non dominant eye, but set for mild myopia (-1.0 D). This should give you good distance vision and near vision. The monofocal like a Clareon should make up for the loss of contrast sensitivity at night for driving. I considered this option but got cold feet when it came to the crunch of deciding. I went with a monofocal for distance and another monofocal at -1.50 D for near. It would be something to discuss with the ophthalmologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.