Catheter not draining into bag

Posted , 7 users are following.

My mum has an indwelling catheter and we have been struggling for the past few months with what we thought were blockages. However I have discovered the issue seems to be with the bags rather than the catheter itself. If we disconnect the bag urine flows fine directly from the catheter, however when we attach the bag it often stops completely and nothing drains into the bag itself. She is bed bound so only uses a night bag (coloplast simpla 2L). I've seen other people suggest putting air into the bag and have tried this but it doesn't seem to stop the problem. Has anyone else had this issue? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Is there not a valve at to top of the bag to open to let air flow out 
    • Posted

No valve at the top of the bag, they have an anti reflux internal part and wondering if that's causing some kind of airlock.

• Posted

I use a valve and no bag. However, I have used bags without any trouble. Why not just try a new bag? It sounds as if the bag must be defective,.
    • Posted

We've connected a flip flo valve to the catheter and a bag to the valve and using that briefly seems to build enough pressure to get it flowing again. Just frustrating that it won't drain into the bag on its own. 

• Posted

Have you contacted a district nurse or a urological nurse. They have all sorts of idea's and are probably the best one's to ask. I use the bag's and never had any issues with them. Try a new bag and see if that works. Hope you find a solution.

• Posted

Have been in constant contact with the nurses but none of them seem to have experienced any type of airlock with the bags. They've just been changing the catheter when it's stopped draining and it was only when I disconnected the bag that I realised it wasn't the catheter that was blocked. Have ordered some samples of different bags and hopefully we'll find one that doesn't have this issue. 

• Posted

I wish you and ur mum all the very best wishes. There are many type's. I have used different catheters, taps and bags. Finally settled on what work's. I have noticed that certain bag's blow up like balloons at time's but never had a problem with drainage.shocked that the nurse's don't know what to do. Good luck.

• Posted

Hello Claire,

I have just found your query posted three years ago, regarding airlocks in catheter bags. My husband is in the same situation and I am sure that there is a problem with the bag, rather than the catheter. I am wondering if you were able to resolve the problem. I hope you don't mind my contacting you about this, but I can't get an answer from the professionals.

• Posted

Hi Rosie,

Mum ended up having a lot of bladder stones that were causing sand like sediment that was blocking the catheter tube so definitely worth checking for that. her bladder infection tests always came back negative even when she definitely had an infection. you can get ph strips to test the urine to check if its very alkaline or acidic and if it isnt normal (6.5 to 7 i think) presume he has an infection and try and get antibiotics from the dr (i think mums stones were caused by continuous undiagnosed bladder infections). the best solution we found for the bags were using a flip flo valve in addition to the bag to build up enough pressure to get rid of any airpockets. but do try and get as many different sample bags sent to you from all the supply companies and see if you can find one that works better for you too.

• Posted

Talk to your GP or the person who prescribed it to her. Its more tricky to maintain a woman's pee than a man's. Logically.

• Edited

an old post

but from my experience.

off this is an overnight bag, those feed by gravity and this situation shouldn't happen unless the bag is defective I've never had this happen

leg bags are different. the urine doesn't flow by gravity but by the pressure being placed on the urine i tried numerous bags, filling the tubing with alcohol and connecting the leg bag never did the alcohol drain into the bag given time the urine did flow into the bag though, with the alcohol and there was no real issue

attach the bag and give it since time to see if the urine is passing before panicking, like I and other people have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.