Cautiously optimistic about capsaicin cream

Posted , 3 users are following.

A friend gave me some leftover high potency capsaicin cream to try.  I cautiously dabbed on a little bit. It worked up to a pretty good burn, but then slowly faded away within an hour and seemed to take some of the pain along with it.  Encouraged, I tried more on a larger area and waited for the same effect.  Too much, too soon! It felt like I was pressing a live coal against my skin.  I kept waiting for it to fade away as it had before, but after 2-3 hours I had to wash it off.  

The next morning the skin felt irritated but looked fine, and I experienced my most pain-free day since the misery began 3 months earlier!

The next day the pain started returning, and the day after that made me despair that I was ever going to feel better.  The pain itself wasn't as bad as the letdown; I'd been so sure it was going away.  Feeling I had nothing to lose, I screwed up my courage and applied some more capsaicin cream.  It burned again, but not as much as the first time, and again, it did help with the neuralgia.

Since then I've been using the cream 2-3 times.  I dab on a little more as soon as I feel stabs returning, and as long as I do that, the stabs stay under control.   I can't guarantee that it's working, because I've been having good and bad days all along and it's possible that I would have had good days with or without this treatment.  However, for what it's worth, the best days I've had since October have been since I started the cream, and I've had more of them in a row than ever before.  So it seems to be having some effect.  I had a bad day earlier this week despite the cream, but I figured out it was probably due to tight clothing that's given me trouble before.  I'll be retiring that shirt!  

The cream still burns, but I seem to be getting used to it. Also, I prefer this kind of discomfort to the neuralgia pain.  For me, the crazymaking part of the neuralgia is that it is so unpredictable.  I never know when I'm going to feel a stab, or whether the stab is just a stab or the beginning of hours of misery.  With the cream, I know what it's going to feel like, where, and for how long.  It feels more like "normal" pain, and when I'm feeling it, I don't feel the neuralgia sensations.

I'm posting this because I've seen a lot of poor reviews of capsaicin cream from people who have used it only once.  I won't deny that the burning sensation is pretty awful, and everyone has their own limits on what they can tolerate.  But in my limited experience, it's worth sticking out if you can bear it.  I'm going to give it the full 2 weeks, which seems to be the recommendation.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I can suggest one option or it can be used simultanlously with other treatment. I have suffered from neuralgia but it is very bearable now. Daily I am applying coconut oil on the affected part i.e. right sciatic nerve. I get relief till next day evening. I am using this for last 3years.
    • Posted

Thank you!  I have some of that too. It does seem to have a soothing effect.
    • Posted

Hi  can you tell me  what make or place do you buy the coconut oil, Im willing to try this if it helps.  I have been applying Savolon cream  im not sure if its working  because  , I like to think it helps with the pain but I dont have any one that could apply any cream round my back, where most of my pain is.  Can any one tell me  do you find that you cant wear certain types of clothes apart from cotten I find Nylon or simular fabrics make my body hyper sensertive ?

kindest regards  Jocelyne

• Posted

I found mine at the grocery store, near the olive oil and other cooking oils.  Not sure every grocery store would carry it, but it's worth a try!  
  • Posted

Hi Jana,

I think I would like to try that. What strength is this high potency capsaicin cream? Thanks for passing along the info your the best.

• Posted

HI Tim,

It's 0.1%.  I'm probably not allowed to specify a brand name, but the pharmacist should be able to direct you to it if you can't find it on the shelf.  I learned after the fact that it's recommended to start with a lower percentage and work your way up after you get acclimated, but I didn't, and no harm done.  You can also dilute it with regular lotion if you want.  Good luck!  I hope it will work for you!  

• Posted

Hi  well doneyou are the first one to stick at the cream , I tried the most tiny  size from the tube, Yes  the pain for me was the worse I could tollerate , I ended up going and washing the full stop cream off and then applied the freezer  medical packs (which I keep)  to cool it down and yes I was one who throw it away, Doctors have told me that I have a very low threshhold to pain,  Im also on a medical patch for my arthritas. but because the pain and rash was on my bust, I could not place that cream on my breast.   I wish you well  take care Jocelyne
  • Posted

I use 4% Lidocaine cream regularly and have similar reactions. It burns at first, but then the area numbs and I'm able to stand it. I also think the general anesthetic value of Lidocaine is helpful.
  • Posted

An update:  I didn't give it the full 2 weeks because it was working so well that the burn from the cream had finally become more uncomfortable than the neuralgia.  The pain wasn't gone, but was down to a few twinges per day.  I went over a month without having a bad day, and then it flared up again, which was tremendously discouraging.  I'm hoping it was triggered by coffee, something I'd been avoiding since this all started, because that would be a simple explanation.  So, back to the cream.  I found an early study where they'd had people apply it several times a day for six weeks with good results, so that's what I'm trying, whether it hurts or not.  The good news is that it really does help; now that I've gotten used to it I hardly notice the burn, and the improvement is almost immediate.  I realize my case is mild compared to many on this forum, but truly, I believe the initial adjustment period is worth sticking out unless you truly can't stand it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.