CBT - Advice to anyone wanting to try it!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I used to read these forums from everyone's perspective of asking for advice and just asking for opinions on my anxiety symptoms etc. I always see questions about medications and CBT and wanted to share my experiences.

I've suffered with anxiety for my whole life. I didn't go to friends houses after school as a child, sleepovers, parties, nothing.. Mum just thought I was a 'mummy's girl'. The older I got the more I suffered and anxiety took over my life! I couldn't eat, got extremely thin but one day I woke up and felt okay.. This continually happened for years - never know what my trigger was and to this day, I still don't.

One day everything got too much.. I didn't want to get up, didn't go to work, couldn't leave the house and would avoid seeing friends. At 23, this was too much for me. I lnew I needed to do something but anxiety ruled my life. I'd been offered Citalopram but the doctor that offered me it said I would get thoughts of suicide etc. Well, I didn't take it. This is when I then got bad and couldn't get out of bed etc. I'd completely had enough so went to see a different doctor. He discussed Citalopram with me in a better way and referred me for CBT. The citalopram made me feel unwell for a couple of weeks which I was warned about but after 2 weeks it was like something had just changed in my head.. Yes everything was still a struggle but not to the extent and so I figured everything was starting to work out. After a couple of months on a waiting list I was given my CBT sessions. I have the most amazing therapist. She told me a funny story as soon as we couldn't figure my trigger and this will stick with me forever.. She said its like my head was stuck and I needed to upgrade.. A bit like a computer.. I was still working on a good old fashioned desktop and needed to upgrade to Windows 7! My sessions were brilliant - I was given 12 and am currently on a break which is going well!

Medication and therapy isn't for everyone, but you need to go into both with an open mind! CBT is a therapy that teaches you how to change your mindset - you need to be prepared to put your own hours in. There are always going to be ups and downs but you learn that anxiety isn't black and white and actually, some anxiety is healthy!

My physical symptoms were my worst, I always felt sick, shaky, dreaded feeling in my chest - turns out they're also symptoms of hunger and thirst - who knew?! Now for someone that didn't really eat or drink I could see how that may work - and it did! A small bite to eat and a glass of water and the symptoms went.. Everything that I felt i blamed on anxiety!

I'm 24 now, no I'm not anxiety free and I do still have bad days but I've learnt to get on with them and have the lessons from CBT to help me get through bad days! I'm also still on my citalopram and hoping to be weaned off in a couple of months!

This post is just about attempting to give people my experiences as I was always looking for help. All I can say is don't ever give up. What's the worst that can happen if you're out with your friends and feeling anxious? Sure you can leave the situation and run away and never control the anxiety or you can stay and have a laugh and completely forget you're suffering. Always do things that make you feel comfortable and always be willing to accept or even ask for help. There are people out there that can offer assistance at a time that you're ready to accept it!

Don't let anxiety control you. Look at the options you've got. Ask for help, accept help and don't listen to the opinions to those that don't understand how you feel (I've been through that enough!)

Best of luck to anyone that reads this post. There is light at the end of the tunnel - just be open and optimistic. Things fall into place, you just have to let them! :-)

Good luck! xx

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there im 24 years old too and exactly like you from when i was a teenager,thanks for your posting,it was inspiring for me
  • Posted

hiya, thank you for your post im 27 and have had anxiety since i was about 15 - it came on at the thought of leaving school and i thought iwas too shy to get a job etc. Then afer a couple fo weeks i was better and i think as i didnt know it was anxiety at the time it kind of left me, But when i was 21 i suffered a bad relapse and it took me longer ot get through it. Last Christmas i suffered another bad repalse ad im going through one again now. I just recently finihsed a course of CBT that helped but since finishing somethign happeneed recently in my life and now im anxious again. My main problem is that i cant eat either but its so hard as not eating makes me fee weak and sick. I am awaiting a call back from my doctor now to discuss medication.

My question is; does the medication wokr enough, you said it does but you still have bad days, are they as bad as before you started medcation or are they much milder now? My biggest fear seems to be having medication and not feeling better, which will result in me having no hope for felling better. Thank you, i'd really apreciate your reply or a reply form anyone else that can help?

• Posted

Medication will help you but it needs time,but sometimes even when you are on meds you will have panic attacks,but in general it will help a lot
    • Posted

Medication really helped me. I'm on 20mg of citalopram. My 'bad' days are no where near what they were and along with what I learnt with CBT i can help myself if that makes sense? Do what you learnt with your CBT. If I am anxious, I write down WHY I'm anxious.. Sometimes I realise that there's no reason that I am anxious at all. And sometimes there are but I realise that actually it isn't as bad as I think. I always think 'what's the worst that can happen?' I'm not going to die and if I do feel worse then I can leave a situation but I no longer avoid situations - does that make sense? Anxiety will always be in our lives, it's just figuring what is healthy anxiety and what isn't and how to deal with it! Positive thinking will always get you through and the medication definitely helps. If you get some, I found taking my medication at night was most suited to me with the symptoms - please don't be disheartened the first few weeks of taking them.. They do take a while to kick in and some people get symptoms (tiredness, nausea, headaches...) and some people don't. Just persevere - it does get easier smile
    • Posted

Thank tou that's a great help I think I may try it out. I just referred myself to my local bhs therapy service and had a chat with them. I've lost my apatite and he suggested excerise to burn off excess adrenaline from anxiety I can't really do that as couldn't go to work today but I got up ha da show and managed to eat a yogart! Feeling very positive right now and your comments helped with that too so thank you smile we will destroy this disorder and make the feelings a distant memory smile x x
    • Posted

Exercise definitely helps even if you haven't gone to work, just do something around the house to help! smile

We will definitely destroy this! There's so many people around to help each other hence my post - I realised a lot of people relate to the same thing!

Wishing you all the best ☺️ Oh and don't forget - there are many different medications! Don't give up if you don't get on with one! xx

• Posted

Thank you, I sometimes think it's fellow suffers that help each other more than therapists that haven't experienced it before. I think mental illness is something that you can never fully understand unless you've felt it yourself. I've got an appointment now with the doc in a couple of days so I think we will go though the different medication options then smile although it's strange because when I'm feeling good I don't want to try tablets because I feel confident that I can so this without them. Wishing you all the best too I wanna hear a success story from you! smile also one last thought, I used to take the herbal tablets called karms and although they didn't remove anxiety completely I never ever had a bad day on them.... I may try them again as they don't have any side effects and arn't addictive. The Rescue Remedy spray is also very good for when it first comes on and relaxes me instantly but sometimes I forget to take it. But if you haven't tried them they it may be worth it - the spray definitely is, I can't go anywhere without it just in case x x
    • Posted

Sorry I meant to ask, did you get any side effects with the medication to start with or do you still get any? I'm definitely going to ask for some, as I started to feel human earlier but I'm reeling crappy again now sad you have made me feel much more positive about tablets helping so thank you. A lot of people have said to stay away from seretone which is what he tried giving me before so I might ask about citalopram x
    • Posted

I tried kalms but I kind of think they're mind over matter.. As in you think they work hence the instant relief.. I got side effects when I first went on citalopram and definitely felt a bit groggy but after 2 weeks one day I just woke up and felt like everything was falling into place.. I know it sounds silly but they work! You need to make sure you don't miss a dose though and so I keep mine by my bed and always take them before work! I felt nauseous and tired and sometimes had headaches/slightly blurred vision but just kept at them. Side effects are common with them and nothing to worry about at all! To be honest I think they're expected as they rebalance the chemicals in your brain. I've been on them 10 months now and don't expect to be taken off them until middle of next year! There's different strengths as well so it could be a case of upping the dose or having a lower dose.. You'll see your GP every few weeks at first. Just make sure you stick at it. It's trial and error and some medications work differently in different people - you sound how I was though so I definitely would recommend them! Don't forget though you can't just stop taking them.. You have to be weaned off. Going cold turkey wouldn't go well - not trying to scare you off but it's just a fact that the doctors will go through! - id just like to point out as well I'm not one to take medication even for a headache but I 100% feel so much better for the citalopram and CBT! Let me know how you get on! smile X
  • Posted

Hello Carla, Anxiety is horrid ! I am on beta blockers propranalol 80 mg twice a day.I also have Reflexology and a jacuzzi .I also have warm milk with honey before bed.Also I put a few drops of Lavender oil on my pillow.I talk to my reflexologist when I need to sound off.I like you have had Anxiety for many years.Due to both my late parents being Alcoholic s.I was sent away to an all girls boarding school,so lack of love.End of rant.regards Amanda
    • Posted

Hi Amanda! You're right it is horrible but its good to see what other people try to use for symptoms. I used to have a sleep scented fragrance next to my bed but it didn't do anything for me and neither did beta blockers (I was given them at 17 and probably didn't try long enough!) it's horrible to see other peoples triggers as well! Life is a funny thing.. Situations get you through things and other situations make things worse! Hope you're in a much loved place now and everything works out for you x
  • Posted

Hello Carla! Thanks for your reply. I am a carer for my Hubby's,so not easy for me at times! Poor Hubby has several issues,severely sighted& deaf,& mobility problems owing to chronic osteo arthritis of the spine,hips & knees.I do find Reflexology & a message is good for me.We are all different & its a great comfort to know that we are not alone.Hope this helps.Regards Amanda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.