Celecoxib weight gain, is there an alternative?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, so iv been takin celecoxib 100mg twice daily for around 6 weeks now and I have to say they've been brilliant, I normally can't move for around 2 hours in the morning as my spine is completely stiff from top to bottom and the pain on movement is exrusiating, these tablets have took away around 80% of this, I still have pain but stiffness is almost gone, however I have put a stone on in weight since taken them so can anyone recommend COX 2 NSAIDs in place of these as I can't continue to take them if the weight gain continues, thank you 😊

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Oh and I can't take naproxen or ibuprofen 😊

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

How are you ??

Can I ask why you can't take brufen and Naproxen.??

Can I ask are you on any other meds at all??

celecoxib I have only spoken to a few people but they said they gained weight very quickly with the medication, but they said they didn't get much help, however if you are getting 80% that is amazing.

Regards

George

• Posted

Ibuprofen and naproxen I get stomach cramps really bad.

I'm taking gabapentin maybe once or twice a week for RLS and diazapam the same for muscle spasms.

80% that's just the stiffness in my spine however it hasn't helped with the pain 😊

• Posted

Hey Caroline

I was gonna say gaberpentin and Pregablin can make you gain weight but as your only using it ad hoc i doubt it's that.

The only other nsaids I know of is Meloxicam, but I don't know anyone that was on it long term.

Can I ask how long you were on brufen and Naproxen before the stomarch problems.??

Also where you from as treatment differes.

Regards

George

• Posted

I took meloxicam very short term it made my blood pressure gomski high. Never had high blood pressure,somdoc took me off. What did helpmfor a long time was Cymbalta. Have you tried it?

Hugs

Hi-ii  HOPES. XXXX

• Posted

Sorry I forgot to say when you were on the brufen and the Naproxone, did they not give you Omeprazol or Lansoprazol.

George

• Posted

i took high doses for a long time with no idea of the side effects, omoprazole wasn't mentioned until recently but I think the damage is done because even with them I still get cramps 😊

• Posted

Yeah you might find you you have a small ulcer inside the stomarch now and that's why you have those problems, if it continues I would get your GP to ask a gastric surgeon to put a camera down and check inside, if they see one they can inject steroids to help heal, then for a long time take the lansoprosol or omeprazol with any anti inflammatory.

Hope you get better and feel good soon.

George

• Posted

Hi carolineq8,

i took celebrex many years ago. It helped for awhile. It was taken off the market then back on the off and now on again. I never seemed to suffer the side effects it just stopped working.

the more advanced this disease the more active and advanced the treatment becomes. 

Hugsxxxx

• Posted

Thank you hope, I have mixed feelings with these at the mo 😊

• Posted

Hi Hope, so iv been to docs and he's gave me fluloxetine 20mg 1 to take at night, now app I took them 7 years ago but iv been on so much over the years I can't remember the effect they had on me, do you know What there like for back pain?

Wishing you well 💞

• Posted

It's a anti depressant it can also help balance the chemicals in the brain help u feel better. I took it for years for back pain and it did really help its Prozac.

i take one pil,a month now intended for slow release to last a month instead od daily RX . Just what I suggested earlier in PM. I HOPE it gives you relief. It takes two weeks before it shows results because it's a blood level medication. Once the body adjusts you will see the difference. I take at bed time op when on one pill a day helps me sleep better.

thats my experience I can only share what helped me. 

Everyone is different.

?? Hope 😊

• Posted

Certainly worth a try 💞

• Posted

Oh and sorry it's duloxetine 🙊

• Posted

Yes I took that a few years ago it's generic name duloxetine is Cymbalta a nerve pain and antidepressant. It was great helped me for a few months. Hope it can give you relief you deserve to enjoy life and see the lighted path thru a long journey you have experienced to complete recovery.yes it is possible and it will be a work in progress . ?? Aren't we all 😀

Hopexxxxx

• Posted

Thanks again Hope for all your help, I will let you know how I get on 😊

I hope today is a good one for you 💖🙏??

• Posted

Hi Hope I havnt heard from you in a while, I hope you are recovering well and doing good, hope to hear from you soon,

Sending good wishes to you 💞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.