CELIAC/ IBS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

The last few weeks I have been having s bit of an iffy stomach , bloating , mixed bowel habits very fast etc I put it down to having a baby a few months ago and starting the pill . For some reason the other day I started picking at my stomach and it felt tender to touch (on the left side on my belly) I went doctors yesterday and she felt my tummy and could not feel anything sinister but sent me for bloods to rule out celiac disease as my dad has it . Has anyone had anything similar to this and been diagnosed with either IBS or celiac disease ? I have health anxiety so I am thinking worst case scenario as usual . The tenderness is not there all the the , usually disappears one I get up and walk / go to the toilet . Thank you for any advice

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, what other symptoms do you have? My sister has celiac disease. I am 34 weeks pregnant and since September I've had stomach issues. Twice ive been diagnosed (over the phone) as having gastritis. My pain is where my stomach is located and it can go to my left side and into my back. It's like a stabbing/pinching feeling in my stomach that occasionally burns. It comes on more if I eat, but is there if I walk around too. My stomach where you describe is also sensitive to touch. Abit like it's numb but isn't. I also get a tingling/vibration in my stomach if in change position of how I'm sat, walk around and lean forward. If I lay down the pain goes. I'm wondering if it's more then gastritis. I don't get acid reflux or anything. I also have health anxiety, so my mind is thinking the worse. Did you find out what yours is?

• Posted

there is a difference ibs can be caused by stress, worry, depressive feelings - or ibs can cause them., lots of foods can cause problems with your bowel (down the left hand side), however coeliac disease is caused by RYE, WHEAT and BARLEY been eaten! symptoms are similar but coeliac disease is an autoimmune disease which can be reversed but ibs? hmm don't know - i think you have to live with it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.