Cellulitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had cellulitis in 4 places on legs 4 weeks and misdiagnosed by GP surgery, hence 5 day admission and iv antibiotics. Been discharged and tablet antibiotics end tomorrow but my ankle and foot are still swollen badly, the plum sized abscess near knee is reducing and my other leg has improved. Do I need more antibiotics? Is there anything I can eat which would help disperse this? Any idea how long this goes on? What painkillers work best? I am walking for 30 mins then elevating. I am really fed up with it. Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This is disappointing but go back and get more antibiotics please, don’t leave it as it doesn’t go away on its own.
    • Posted

Sorry for delay replying but only just found this as had gone to spam file. I will reply to both you and Zulu man below. Thank you for your help.
  • Posted

Hi Sara,

Really sorry to hear this.

The infection needs to be completely removed from inside so you need a full course of antibiotics. You need to demand hospital put you on an intravenous antibiotic and complete the course by staying in the hospital for around a week (I think).

The intravenous ones are much faster acting. It's worth giving up a bit of time so you can get the quality of your life back. 

Afterwards, wear a compression sock/stocking to squeeze your flesh back together.

Hang in there and best of luck - wiil pray for you.

• Posted

The iv ones in hospital had a good effect but since home and being on a different one they sent me home on there has been slow progress. Now broken out in rash on arms and legs and have slight temp, nausea and feel rubbish so GP surgery tried to get ambucare to see me at hospital but they said no so have been put on further 7 days antibiotics, blood test and f/u with GP after weekend but told to go to A/E if deteriorate. Thanks so much for your advice and I will demand iv as in patient if I get any worse like you say and that is a good idea about compression stockings squeezing flesh back together. I have been given no advice elsewhere so I greatly appreciate your help. Thank you.
    • Posted

Mine was a few years ago now.

One night the fever I had was insane. Felt like I was hallucinating.

It was a big give away that told me something was seriously wrong, then I realised my left leg had been itching for the past few days and getting bigger. Took around 3 weeks of finding antibiotics that worked and I wasn't allergic to too (Clindamycin gave me perfect "red-felt pen" spots!)

Took nearly 2 months for things to get sorted. 

Compression sock worked a treat afterwards. In my understanding, apart from making flesh look normal size again, it keeps blood vessels narrower and hence circulation better (just like they advise to wear in planes)

In the past, I tried to post a link to the store where I bought the compression sock but I think they rejected my message because of that.

Anyway, I sincerely wish you the best health and all of this to be history in the near future smile

• Posted

I am allergic to Penicillin so they put me on Erythromycin which gave me cramps and nausea then changed to Clarithromycin, then in hospital iv Clarithromycin and Metronidazole mix, then Gentomycin then Teicoplanin 4 days then discharged on Doxycycline 5 days finished Sunday and back on that for 7 days. My rash is like dot to dot with the odd bigger splodge. Ha ha. Thanks so much for advice and good wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.