Cellulitis -diabetic

Posted , 2 users are following.

On Friday my lower leg stared with a warm pink patch the size of a bag of frozen veggies.  When it  became red I looked online and went to an immediate care facility on Sunday. It is only Monday evening and I have had 3 doses of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium. It is more red today then yesterday. When should I be worried. (Info. I have been diabetic for 15 years and have a 6.2 A1C, and has been under control the entire time)  I am deathly afraid of losing my leg, getting a gigantic ulcer that won't heal, etc.  My PCP is out of town this week. Should I call my Endo Dr? Am I panicking too soon?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

1. Did anyone culture the wound, and have you gotten the results back? It usually takes at least 72 hours to see what microorganisms grow.

2. Are you on 875/125 of the Amoxicillin/PC?

3. Because staph and strep live on the skin normally, when you get a wound and it gets infected, it is most likely one or both of those bacteria. Since they are gram-positive bacteria, amoxicillin should work. Oral antibiotics usually take about 72 hours to really start working. That being said, if the bacteria is gram negative like pseudomonas aeriginosa, the infection will continue to get worse or might mildly improve. That is why a culture is so very important.

You have only had 4 or 5 doses by now, so do not panic!

If you develop a high fever, chills, vomiting or diarrhea, contact your doc immediately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.