Cellulitis on legs...extreme fatigue....confusion....HELP!!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mother has cellulitis on her leg, it flared up after she was bit by her cat. The day after i noticed it wasn't looking good she dropped her oxygen tank on the other foot. (not the cellulitis foot) It bruised really bad to point it was looking black. I took her to the doctor and they put her on penicillin and hydrocodone.

?A few days after she started taking her medicine i noticed she is falling asleep all the time, while watching tv, while using the bathroom, in the middle of conversations. It is not anything close to normal. She also is talking about things that make no sense. For example she will tell me that she moved things around in her room, talk to the cat when the cat is not even in the room with her. She has told me that I'm 34 when I'm 27. Most of the time its mumbling and i cant hear her. Later on she will be fine and you can have a normal conversation with her. I have asked her what is going on with her how she is feeling when she is talking like this, and she says that she will think she really did move things around. she thinks that her thyroid medication is too low. Her doctor dropped her thyroid meds from 150 MG to 75 MG...I'm not exactly sure why he did this. She also has COPD, Diabetes, Thyroid issues.

If anyone has any clue or thinks they know what could be going on id greatly appreciate the advice. I have talked to her doctor and she said that cellulitis can drain you and take a lot out of you. I totally understand that but when my mom doesn't seem to be on the same planet as me i worry, I'm to the point I'm loosing sleep worrying about her. She is not able to cook, clean, or do anything for herself at this point. She is not the lady i know. I'm just a very concerned daughter, that has a feeling something isn't right!!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I’m not a doctor but I have had cellulitis accompanied by hallucinations. Some people experience this, some don’t.  My advice would be to contact the doctor and stress that your mother is hallucinating as it might be a sign of complications.
    • Posted

Saturday night she asked me to call the ambulance, so i did apparently she wasn't getting enough oxygen which cause her oxygen levels to drop and she wasn't breathing at a nice steady pace due to that her carbon dioxide levels were high they admitted her in ICU and put a CPAP mask on her i believe that's what it was called. Basically forcing her to breath in oxygen she has been able to keep her levels at a 90 and higher with that she finally got the mask removed and is doing great on 4 liters with her normal oxygen not the mask. Thanks so much for the advice

• Posted

My husband has just had his third course of anitbiotics for Cellulitis. He too was very confused. Is there any way your mother could have a urine infection. Re cat bites - I breed pedigree cats occasionally - has she had an up to date Tetanus jab? I would agree with Barbara and speak to the GP. It could be that her body is fighting the infection - my husband slept a lot too but I think to be safe, you need to get professional advice.
    • Posted

Saturday night she asked me to call the ambulance, so i did apparently she wasn't getting enough oxygen which cause her oxygen levels to drop and she wasn't breathing at a nice steady pace due to that her carbon dioxide levels were high they admitted her in ICU and put a CPAP mask on her i believe that's what it was called. Basically forcing her to breath in oxygen she has been able to keep her levels at a 90 and higher with that she finally got the mask removed and is doing great on 4 liters with her normal oxygen not the mask. Thanks so much for the advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.