change of antidepressant

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All

Has anyone switched from citalopram to another antidepressant? If so would you be kind enough to tell me which one and is it working better than cit.

many thanks in advanced xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I was on Citalapram at one time but it did absolutely nothing for me.  I had been on 75 mg Venlafaxine for 11 years but it suddenly stopped working.  I then spent almost a year trying different antidepressants.  Eventually I asked my GP if I could see a psychiatrist.  She put me on 15 mg Mirtazapine and 150 mg Ven.   I said both of them had stopped working but she said that together they were a good combination.

That was nearly 2 years ago..  Occasionally I have the odd day of feeling off but then I am OK again.  I have learned to handle the depression now which I didn't when I was bad at first.  I used to wake up feeling awful and wouldn't get up till the afternoon and then lie on the settee till the evening.  Now I go to classes at my gym and I also do voluntary work at the hospitaL and this makes all the difference.

I hope, like me, you get the right drug again.

Best wishes.

Pat

• Posted

Hi pat

thank you so much for your response.I have heard good things about mirt but not the other one is a combination better?? Any help and advice appreciated Pat. I'm going to ask for your combo xx

Big hug xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I am now on 15 mg Mirtazapine and 150 Venlafaxine.  Someone said that the combination has to be prescribed by a Phsyciatrist and GPs aren't allowed to.  I don't know if that is true or not.   Everyone is different you just have to keep trying until you get the right one.

Love Pat xx

• Posted

Thank you so much pat. I will see what gp has to say on Thursday. Hope your day is going well and i really appreciate your response xxxx
  • Posted

I switched from citalopram to sertraline, I lasted 8 days, then tried fluoxitine they made me suicidal, now on venlafaxine, so far so good, feeling the good effects already after 3 weeks, good luck x
    • Posted

Hi Gina

thank you very much for responding. It really helps to hear your experience. I will take your comments on board when at the doctors. I'm pleased you are feeling a bit better and hope this med brings you to full recovery.

Really appreciate your time Gina

blessings and gratitude to you xxx

Lorraine x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.