Change of medication

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had RLS for 40 years. My doctor is very understanding and monitors my condition closely. I have been taking pramipexole for a long time with the dosage gradually increasing. Lately I have become agitated and my RLS has worsened. My doctor thinks its time to change to gabapentin . Please could anyone who has experience of this drug share their experiences? Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

sorry for your suffering. I was on 900 milligrams of Gabapentin and after about a year, it no longer worked. Sleep deprivation is absolute torture. I had given up when my psychiatrist was helping me find medication for my anxiety that I could take at work. I was given 30 mg of Buspar in the a.m.. It did nothing for my anxiety, but I've never had RLS since and it's been two years. I called Dr. crying because I truly thought I would have to live with RLS forever. Gabapentin is nasty, the withdrawals are a nightmare. Now what worked for me, may not work for you and I understand it's off-label use but it changed my life. In addition, I have not had to raise dosage, and if I accidentally miss a dose, I can still sleep unlike missing a dose of gabapentin. My background: 36 yo female, non drinker with severe anxiety disorder. I don't know if I'm allowed to give you my psychiatrists name, but I'm in California. Hope this helps, RLS is torture. PLEASE make sure you are not taking Benadryl as it flares up symptoms almost immediately!- Deanna-

• Posted

Also be warned Gabapentin withdrawls are relentless insomnia along with horrible night sweats and nightmares. You have to slowly wean off. Buspar was a game changer. I hope this helps! Google Gaba withdrawals and try Buspar first. Gaba I started at 300 mg and quickly had to raise to 900, then stopped working all together.

• Posted

Gabapentin is go to for many doctors. Be alert for side affects. I was warned by a friend of her experience also her brother had very severe side affects.AT 700 mg I became paranoid, could not concentrate or carry on a coherent conversation, also depression. At low dose it worked but had to keep increasing for RLS relief. As mentioned above I realized I wasn't having some type of breakdown as my friend had related severe paranoia on higher dose and went off when she realized it was the gabapentin. without her heads up I honestly would have been convinced I was in the throes of some type of mental breakdown. Went off right away. Just be alert to the side affects of this med. some can take it with no problem. But if you begin to feel like you are mentally loosing it, know gabapentin may well be the cause.

• Posted

Try Clonazepam .. I have been on it and it really works for me. I have no side effects from it. I did hear that getting off of it is hard.. you have to work yourself off of it. I was on it for 10 years when I lived in Texas and I didn't have a problem getting off of it. It was great for all those years. I suffered from it before I went to Texas. I was living in Florida and the doctor I had in Florida back then would not give me anything.

I had to move back to Florida 6 months ago.. told the doctor I have now what helped me in Texas and she put me on it.

It is great to go to bed and not worry that your legs are going to jump all over the bed.

Let me know if it works for you.

• Posted

I am 79 (male) and suffer from RLS for a long time. The only drug that helped me is liquid Dipyrone monohydrate 500 mg/mL. 35 drops before bedtime, and have a good nite sleep, but check with your phisycian. HTH, Flores

• Posted

I have restless legs real bad. My doctor put me on Clonazepam and it really works for me. I can go to bed at night knowing I will be able to sleep without restless legs

That is

Clonazepam .

Ask your doctor about it and let me know if it works for you 😃

• Posted

Thank you all for your guidance. My doctor has been looking into the research for RLS and is going to increase my iron and vitamin D intake. After reading your comments I am going to discuss the change to Gapapentin as i'm a bit anxious about the side effects.

pramipexole worked for a long time but i'm on the maximum dose now and it is less effective. My RLS is in my hands and arms now and some nights are a nightmare with

my whole body suffering. Anyway onwards and upwards The light is at the end of the tunnel - my 91 year old mother who has also suffered with RLS all her life says it has now stopped !!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.