Changed body shape

Posted , 5 users are following.

since having advanced prostate cancer from aug. 2010,and recieving hormone treatment to date,i have put on weight and changed shape around the trunk,so much so i rely on braces to support my trousers.i also suffer from claudication in the legs which makes walking extremely painful.i am now nearly 74 years old( male).has anyone experienced this combination .

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Roy

I completed Hormone Treatment in September 2015. I also have weight gain around the trunk, and man boobs, also diagnosed with DVT in left leg in August.

• Posted

hi Roy

2 years on Zoladex following Surgery and Radiotherapy, everyone mentioned possible weight gain.  was able to keep active and keep the weight off, but I was 10 years younger.  Hot flushes all night which have now nearly disappeared but I started losing bone mass, so still be treated for osteoporosis.

just keep thinking of the positives.

Hope this helps

Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken

I still have hot flushes and night sweats - apparently these can last for up to 18 months after coming off Zoladex.

I also take Adcal C for bone bones.

• Posted

Thanks ken,how's your PSA,mines just gone up 60% in twelve weeks to 35,I'm getting looked at in Canterbury on the 30th

I'm 73,how old are you?

• Posted

Hi Roy

I went the route RT (20 months ago), and Hormone therapy. Last PSA <.1

i am 72. i="" am="">

i am 72.>

• Posted

Under 1 psa sound good,i didnt know the zoladex treatment stopped at some point,ive been having the implants since 2010.
    • Posted

Hi Roy

When I first started Zoladex, my Oncologist told me I'd be on it for 2 years. Last one in September, next PSA with GP January to see if stopping Zoladex has effected PSA.

Next review with Orcologyst April 2016.

• Posted

Hi Roy ,just to really add to what's been said.  My hubby finished RT 4weeks ago,he's just had another hormone injection,but he don't know his PSA yet until he sees his oncologist.

But back to weight he has gained weight mainly round his middle,but his appetite escalated while he's been having his therapy,he's always had a good appetite ,but my god he is always hungry lately.

I'll just say he's 73yrs old but he does like his walks,he also has a lot of hot flushes,and he's also became quite emotional. His waterworks have become more regular as well,he can't hold it very long.

• Posted

Hello Norma,yes its good yourhusband is able and enjoys walking,i think the waterworks prob comes and goes,mine has.Hot flushes also can be severe or mild,you didnt say how long since your husbands diagnosis,hopefully your at the start,its a journey and it can be a long one,Hopefully youcan support your husband through this and understand some mood changes.i started with a supportive wife five years ago,but am now hated .Best of luck with your husbands treatment.
    • Posted

Hi Roy, my hubby was diagnosed beginning of April.

As for supporting him,I do very much so,because I've had a lot of serious health issues and he's been there for me.

BUT,he is a man,and it is his first health issue,so he's not to good a patient,he does feel sorry for himself,so if I'm to soft on him I don't believe that would make him as positive as me and my son have made him.

So it's a case if he gets to upset,I've got lots of empathy,but if I feel he's using it for sympathy he's got no chance.   I have chronic pain 24/7 and I do occasionally break down,and he's a perfect nurse.   But my point to him is yes maybe he has the big C but he is not in no pain,and there's so many other illnesses that can kill you,Emphesema,Heart Attack, ( which I've got both) and many more.    Don't think I don't understand because I do. We will support each other until one of us goes.  We have 3sons but there's only 1 that supports us,so I'm grateful for that.

You say your wife used to support you,why not now? Unless it's private.

You will get through this,the main thing in my oppinion is Positiveity.

• Posted

Only just read this one Norma,marraige breakdown myfault,I'm a man,made lots of mistakes,no friends,no children,wish i had .didn't need anyone but my lovely wife,now facing incurable C on my own.Sorry to hear about your own illnesses and pain,I wish you the strength to cope with your illness.
  • Posted

WOW,you can tell I'm a woman don't I rant on sorry Roy.
    • Posted

Please don't apologise,its nice to be able to talk to someone.I'm about to be left alone,just me and my cancer.so I welcome discussion,and sharing experiences with this awful disease might help others.
    • Posted

That's a pity Roy,Just when you could support each other.

My hubbies a really fit 73yr old,which is why I think it's hit him so hard.

But he's doing great,and so will you,the only difference you've got to push yourself and be stronger.  Where my hubby's got me,but because hes got three boys,and it's a mans illness,he's spoilt mainly by his youngest lad.

Roy keep your spirits up,and if you ever want to talk,your on the right page.

You take care.

• Posted

G'day roy51706...Mate, thanks, your question has given me an answer I've been asking myself for a few months..."why are my leg getting really stiff when I'm out & about and why am I getting cramps in my legs when I wake up in the morning?"...

At 74 you've got 20 years up on me and I have just finished year 1 of my life sentence on Zoladex 10.8...

I'd simply put the weight gain and changing of shape down to the lots of nice red wines I've been enjoying since I've given up working and started doing the things I like to do...

I wish you well...

• Posted

Hi there,about the same time as getting cancer,my legs ached when walking.I was suffering from clarification,get checked just in case.its a arterial disease,now iget cramps night,and walking can get unbearably painful.
    • Posted

Hello Norma,yes I've been on statins for approx 30 years after getting diagnosed with inherited cholesterol problem.hyperlipidemea.now on strongest 40mg pravastatin.and at last test I was 6.9

• Posted

Well Roy,I'm probably underestimating your intelligence but here goes.

Ive been on statins twice now,4mths ago I was put back on them,well they give me terrible cramp and muscle pain,and I know the downfall with them so I don't really want them.  My GP asked me to just try for 6mths then if I want off them so be it.    But I'm not at all happy about them,I want to change with diet.   Just a thought.

• Posted

Yes Norma,most cases can be helped by diet change.i didnt eat meat for a few years,and cut down on cheese etc,and even now only use skimmed milk.but my body produces cholestrol so i have to rely on statins.Only once years ago when i was put on a different statin,i was taken off after a blood test because they affected my liver,and put on a different statin.i dont seem to have any side effects.

Before all these health issues i wouldnt even take a pill for anything,now im on bp,cholesterol,steroids,and claudication medication.im waiting now for a urgent review with the oncologist after my psa rose from 22 to 35.

the most upsetting thing for me is beingunable to get insurance to get away somewhere in the future.i have been away but paid up to £500 insurance for one week in greece.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.