Checking toilet paper everytime? And how do you check for flare?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Dear all,

I am new to this forum but have had UC for the past 16 years or so. I am about 32 years old (a male). I am curious as to know

(i) if I am the only one who checks the toilet paper for blood everytime?

(ii) What other symptoms gives you idea that you are going to get a flare?

(iii) When in remission I go to the bathroom 2-3 times a day - is that a norm for everyone else?

This is the first time I am writing in a forum about my UC -- so, fellow UC-ians, nice to meet you all and hope you all are doing well. smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Welcome...I love this forum it's really helped me accept this terrible disease. 

I also check the toilet paper every time it's just a habit now. I've only been diagnosed with UC for 12 months. I've been on prednisone this whole time which has controlled the bleeding however anytime I cut down it comes back. I've yet to experience remission so I'm not sure what would be classified as 'normal'. My symptoms of flare are urgency, temperatures and going to the toilet a million times each night. 

• Posted

Hi

I have found forum very helpful. Yes checking toilet paper and loo is a habit now.

I have had colitis for 4 years, I always feel very tired, urgency, stomach pains and big ulcers in mouth. I have had problems eating since being beginning. Lived on coco pops and crumpets for first few months as they were the only thing that didn't upset me.

on octasa now and have been able to eat mushroom , pepper and bananas again. I find it hars for people to understand why I cant eat certain foods, but it is getting better. :-)

• Posted

Welcome to the club no one wants to join wink I'm a 10 year veteran at 38.

(i) if I am the only one who checks the toilet paper for blood everytime?

Lol nope I'm the same.

(ii) What other symptoms gives you idea that you are going to get a flare?

Bloating, sharp pain on my lower left side and general tiredness.

(iii) When in remission I go to the bathroom 2-3 times a day - is that a norm for everyone else?

If I stick to my diet(Paleo) very strictly I actually get back to once a day.

• Posted

Hi there, in my experience:

(i) yes, I do that too, out of habit I guess! No harm in checking.

(ii) I'm on the verge of remission at the minute but if I'm going down hill again I get pain in my bowel before the toilet and during bowel movements. I also feel queezy a lot and get really tired, and lose my appetite sometimes too.

(iii) I don't suffer with the loose bowel movements (bizarre I know as its one of the main symptoms) I'm often constipated, which causes most of the pain as it passes past the ulcers. So during a flare I will go 2 times a day, which is a lot for me, but normally I usually go once every two-three days. But everyone's differentsmile

• Posted

Hi BlackHoleSucks,

Yes, I'm a great loo-paper checker!!!  It's a habit, and on 1st April (how appropriate!!) I found blood on the paper for the first time in nearly two years.   

To be honest, I don't know that I get symptoms before a flare, although I was experiencing plenty of intestinal gurgling and passing gas for a week or three before the blood appeared.

I usually go to the loo once or twice a day when 'in remission', although my stools are now never properly formed, so it's always a rather messy experience. Yuk!

Sometimes I think I must be keeping 'Andrex' in business; time to purchase shares in the company, perhaps?? 

Look after yourself, and all the very best. 

Pete

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.