Chiari Malformation weird symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, Ive been having symptoms of left side headaches, tremors, dizziness, tingliness in my hands, speech issues (I say or type the wrong word, I cant find the right words) brain fog (feels like im not really here/how did i get here?) since about 2016. Recently my symptoms have gotten worse where I am having memory issues (forgetting what I was doing, repeating myself after just saying it, forgetting simple tasks like turning the sink off), hard to swallow, more tingliness but now in my face on the left side around my lips and nose, dropping things, loss of sensation and tempature, heart palpitations at night, hand weakness.

I seen a neurologist and they said i have a 3.95mm chiari malformation and we are discussing options but I am worried that becacuse mine is smaller that my symptoms might not be caused from that. Do these symptoms correlate with a chiari that small? Has anyone dealt with something like this?

I am a 27 year old female

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

hi steph

id ont use this site often but came across your post this evening. i also have a chiari malformation 7mm below foreum magnum, i too have the same symtoms as yourself, aswel as balance and walking issues, i also dont slepp like my brain wont switch off, when i do eventually get so tired and fall asleep i cant sleep longer than 4 hours, meaning the fatigue feels so much worse, no help from gp with this for a few years, lack of sleep or insomnia is one of main symptoms of chiairi. causing all sorts of problems, like loss of apetite, although told to eat healthy this can be a challenge.

i have done my own reasearch as the neurosurgeon hasnt given me much information, one thing that came up a lot is some people can have a chiari malformation with no symptons and some do have symtoms no matter how much your cerabelum has herniated, everyone reacts differnt and no 2 chiairi patients are the same. the symtoms you are having are symtoms from the chiari although it is only 3.95 herniated.

i found the brain and spine foundation website VERY helpful, they are charity run and absolutely brilliant, they have lots of info on chiari malformations, and will also send you a chiari booklet which contains a lot of information for people with chiari malformations, they also help with how to telll family members etc and how it affects you, all this can be done online on their website or they have a phone number which qualified nures who can take to you and anser any questions you might have.

stay strong i wish you allmthe best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.