Chickenpox and shingles?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I posted a while back now about my mum, she had shingles which ended up with her in hospital with encephalitis.

Anyway the advice I got on here was great so thought if ask a quick question as google is not helping!

So she's gone to visit some relatives and there little one has chicken pox, can she catch shingles from them and if so what can she do/take to prevent it happening. I'm so terrified of her getting so ill again. Thankyou x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No, you can't catch shingles from chickenpox, only chickenpox from shingles (if you have never had it before).

Your mother has obviously had chickenpox in the past and the virus has lain dormant all these years until her immune system was low and "bingo" the virus popped up in the form of shingles. So if you have shingles, for the first 10 days or so you have to avoid young children or people who haven't had chickenpox.

So she won't "catch" shingles.

Hope the visit goes well.

• Posted

Hi Kbell,

I'm so happy your mum recovered fully..Fortunately, your mum can't get shingles from chickenpox. It can reoccur, but only via her own body. She does not have to worry.

Warm regards. You are the daughter of the year!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thankyou both, that's put my mind at rest, I knew it was one could be caught from the other but unsure which way round.

And thankyou merry I do like to remind her sometimes what a great daughter I am 😉 I hope you are well

Xxx

• Posted

I remember your mom, you and your devoted care, my own worries about her across the pond...etc

We all care about each other, don't we?

My family is doing well. I hope you and yours remain well.

Fondly,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi KBell;

The ordinary person doesn't get repeat Shingles. I of course, am not an ordinary person. I don't have enuf fingers and toes for the amount of my bouts.

That said, she should keep her distance from the child; but, chicken pox, are much more contagious than Shingles. Also, a good thing, people with Shingles that get repeat Shingles, is because the virus is always in them. If they have a weakened immune system,then, it rears it's ugly head. Make sure she eats and drinks well, takes vitamins, gets plenty of rest, so not to have a weakened immune system. Still, he cud of Murphy's law, have them keep their distance. For everyone out there, my mother-in-law is a pharmacist, and she swears everyone should take prenatal vitamin,men and women. It gives the average person everything they need,with lots of iron! Good luck KBell, to both you and your Mom, just reach out if you need an ear.

1Roswell

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.