Children coming to the hospital

Posted , 8 users are following.

Do you think it will be okay if my children come and see me at the hospital on the day of the operation? I was an adult and I still found seeing my Mum after her operation quite shocking with the drains etc. Do you think it is likely to frighten them or have you had little ones visit you and they were fine? 

Not sure whether to wait until the next day, but I am guessing they will be anxious to see me and know I am okay. 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Depends on their ages, I personally would wait till the next day because it also depends on what time you are going down for your opxx
  • Posted

They are 7 and 10 sensitve girls, I dont want them to worry more...
  • Posted

Are you having general anaesthetic ? If not I'm sure they will be Ok to see you though as Marilyn says depends on op time . Age makes difference too I know after my hysterectomy my daughter (then aged 14 ) needed to see me as she was more anxious and worried about not being able to see that I was Ok .

Good luck

Denise

• Posted

I am not sure, but probably will go for GA. I think you are right they might be more worried if they don't see me. Hopefully I will be full of sunshine and they can see that you can come through these things and be fine. 
  • Posted

I would sit down and have a real conversation ahead of time to let them know that you will be fine and that all the things that are connected to you at the time are to help you get better . If you let them know ahead of time all  the things that they will see and ask them are you okay with seeing mommy like this because its okay if you come the next day. Letting them know ahead is best. The element of surprise is can be devestating.
    • Posted

The little one is already crying and begging to stay with me - it is breaking my heart. So clearly she will be with me as much as possible. The eldest is quite relaxed about it at least on the outside.
  • Posted

Hi Rose, I have a 10-year-old son he came to see me in the hospital which lifted my spirits drastically he actually laid in bed with me he was great and happy to be with me absolutely have your children with you.

Scoops

PS don't show him the drain in your leg

• Posted

Can you not make your mind up on the day. If you are feeling OK, text to your husband to bring them in. They will follow your mood so if you are happy with it they will be. For that reason it might be best to keep the visit short
  • Posted

Maybe you could ask them what they'd prefer. Tell them you'll be sleepy and that you'll have a drip catheter drain etc. But that is all good and to be expected. And each child could decide for herself if she wants to come?
  • Posted

Hi Rose , 

How are you doing ?  

You know your children best - I had GA and except for IV there was nothing scary showing ... no drains or blood or anything ... 

also depends on how you feel - wouldn't want to make my children sad or upset that I cannot be with them for a couple of days but more emphasize how great it will be that I won't have pain anymore and can do everything together with them again ... 

they feel your concern and sorries, darling - especially when they are so sensitive ... I know it is hard ....

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

If you are doing as expected post op they should be reassured to see you ASAP. They will probably be quite matter of fact about you being in hospital as long as you are. My own daughter was some years ago when I had an op, she came in the following day at age 5 and was trees tend a concerned
    • Posted

Interested rather than concerned
  • Posted

Day of surgery NO, next day YES, they will have heard you talking about surgery as did my grandson, he thought they were going to remove my leg, I don't think we made it clear enough in conversations that he overheard that they were going to put in a steel bone, as my own bone had worn out, he had seen for himself I couldn't walk before the surgery. You should have seen the relief on his darling face when I showed him I still had both legs, and could stand up beside my bed, I was able to explain I now had a steel bone in my leg, and walk very slowly on my crutches. He took no notice of the drips and urine bags, he was only interested in my leg, and then asked could he have my crutches when I didn't need them any longer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.