Cholesteatoma follow up

Posted , 2 users are following.

has anyone ever had any follow up after having cholesteatoma. it seems people are supposed to be followed up at intervals.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

it seems to say on the NHS site that you are seen regular to make sure your cholesteatoma hasn't grown back as they often do. I would have thought you get scans at intervals and ongoing care for something so serious but I had my operation in 2013 and had one scan and was discharged after. is that the same for everyone.

• Posted

I think it matters whether you had canal wall up or down technique. one has a better success rate of no recurrence.

• Edited

7 ear surgeries between both ear for cholesteatoma. yes I had follow up every time and ent visits every 2 to 3 months. last surgery I had a bone removed. also had a hearing aid for left ear. the new doctor said further surgery wasn't an opinion anymore so at 42 yes old I'm still partially deaf in both ears. right ear is better at hearing due to my ent doctor rebuilt my right ear drum. I still have pin hole in my left ear. my 1st surgery was at age 6 or 7.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.