Cholosteatoma

Posted , 5 users are following.

got a cholosteatoma removed in 2016 then again in 2018 now it's back again?? has anyone else had 3 in the same ear and is it likely to return again??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i spoke to a lady that had it 4 times in the same ear, it does happen just not often

• Posted

It seems that is recurring if the surgeon was not able to excise all the cells which are multiplying leading to the ilness again.(recurring)

Another cause could be due to the Eustachian Tube not functioning. As soon as the function of ET could be reestablished than the cholesteatoma should not come back. (negative pressure of the ET is what leads to the tympanic membrane to get pockets in which the cholesteatoma starts developing)

Very important what technique the surgeon employs. (Wall up or wall down-wall down also called postauricural approach is a little more complex but a very skilled and experienced ENT should be able to do it. With this surgical approach the surgeon has more chances to remove all cholesteatoma forming cells as the surgeon has access to a wider visual area)

I am located in Canada and I've just was diagnosed with cholesteatoma for the 1st time. How difficult the surgery and recovering usually is?

• Posted

I've had canal wall up both times but this time they said they may just want me to come in for more regular cleaning and manage it that way but think that's just going to give it the time to get worse. I've been in touch with someone who has had theirs removed 12 times

• Posted

I think you need to find a new surgeon. Check with the surgeon what their success rate is. If it is not in the high 90s then find a surgeon who has. In the UK we have Dr. Hamilton who has outstanding success rates.

• Posted

Hiya,

Sorry to hear your cholesteatoma is back. I too have had it return numerous times (about 5 times). First few times was because of where it was and my surgeon was unable to get all the cells as it was too close to my facial nerve. The further times were just unlucky and I had a gap in my eustachian tube (which had been sealed off) where debris could get through and then had a gap somewhere else in the closure following obliteration surgery.

Maybe it is worth speaking to another surgeon who can shed some more light on your situation and come up with another plan. From my experience I have found that the same surgeon will want to keep going even when things aren't going too well.

I hope you get this sorted, its not a nice thing to have and so annoying when it just won't go away!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.