Chronic, dry cough for over 2 months

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had a chronic, debilitating dry cough for more than 2 months now. When it first started happening and had stayed with me for about 2 to 3 weeks, I was convinced I had the milder form of Covid-19. However, I was told that because I didn't (and still don't) have a temperature or any other symptoms, it isn't that.

Usually, it is worst in the morning and early afternoon and then again in the evening and at night (not because I'm laying down, it happens even when sitting up). Seems to be less in the afternoons.

Some days it is worse than others. Some days it is minimal, and I think it's starting to go away, then the next day it will come back with a vengeance. Most days it is truly so horrible.

I should say I currently have no other symptoms - I think I feel fine otherwise, it's just this dry cough, but it really is very debilitating and it's so bad that I've been thinking I cannot live with this and have considered suicide if it continues and never ever goes away. That's how bad it is most of the time.

Since the age of 14 (I'm now early 30s!) I've suffered and lived with chronic post-nasal drip on a daily basis (i've never seen a doctor about this btw). Is it possible it's linked??

I'm so worried that this may be a sign of something very sinister, like cancer (I'm thinking lymphoma or Leukemia?).

I'm ever so scared and I'm sat here in tears as I type this post out. Please, is this serious? Can anyone offer their thoughts? Anyone experienced the same?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi anon69910,

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologise for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

If you are based outside of the UK.

The Samaritans is a UK based charity, but they also have suggestions for how you can access help in other countries.

Please have a look at this page https://www.befrienders.org/directory

Patient

• Edited

I should ask you doctor for a chest scan rather than an x ray to rule out or in a problem Post nasal drip could be linked with Bronchectasis. I have that and the post nasal drip and chronic cough that goes with it and there are several things that can help hugely with the cough. I was coughing non stop day and night, exhausting. Do try a bit of Vicks vapour rub up your nose to deal with the drip, works for me, not all the time though as it makes things worse used continually.

• Edited

Hi please contact your doctor if you are feeling so down. nasel drip is a pain ask the doctor for beconaise for it , it works wonders . anxiety could be making things worse as the more you worry the worse it gets. Try contacting nhs wellbeing you can self refer and they will help you with any anxiety / depression.

• Edited

OK for the past 10 years I have had post nasal drip... leading to sinus infections, headaches, tiredness, and a cough just like you describe, please mention the nasal drip to your GP and you can get it sorted. Think about it, if that nasal drip is dripping down your throat, its your body trying to get rid of it.

Now with respect, why would you ever think of hurting yourself or worse, when a visit to GP can both get it sorted and put your mind at ease....

Please talk to someone, friend, family, GP or even come on here, there are so many kind, wonderful people on here, I know as they have pulled me through some really bad days.

As I type I am thinking and this may sound mean, but why would you consider suicide and be afraid of cancer? Suicide is a ery permanent solution to a temporary problem.

you have done so well to come on here, again, not meaning to be mean, but so many people in ICU's around the world at the minute would swap with you or I in a blink, as would their family.

Be Safe x

• Posted

Did the doctor say what is the cause of your post nasal drip? I have lived with it daily since i was a teenager, and whenever I clear it in front of people I don't know, I'm sure they must think I am someone with a dirty habit.

• Posted

Hi. with me I start with a headache, the if I touch over my eyebrows it hurts, also if I hold the bridge of my nose the headache eases, so I know I am in for a sinus infection. Then its like free-flow down my throat, leads to the most awful cough & so tired. I have to say I smiled when you say about the looks you get when you clear your throat, why, because I totally feel the same AND what worse I have it all at the minute, was checked out for the virus, just bad sinus infection, but every time I go into a shop, then I need to cough or sneeze, I think some might like to run from me.

Anyway, Ive had scans on my head, camera up my nose and down my throat & all was grand, what they told me is allergies that kicks it off.

You & I are just the "lucky" ones that this happens to.

But, because it is making you feel down, go see your GP, again what I do is, take a few minutes, write down your symptoms, the questions you would like answered. I learned this after many appointments, come out and forgotten to ask a few things that was worrying me.

Good to hear from you & I hope today is a little brighter.

• Edited

This sounds exactly like me right now!!! I was just in hospital because i said i was suicidal over this dry cough. did you ever get any answers ??? the drs think Im nuts im sure but i know its real... i have a ct tomo.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.