Chronic eye strain & light sensitivity for 3 months; diagnosed with mild exophoria

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I hope someone could help shed light on this as I feel like this condition has started to rule my life and affect my ability to work..

I am a 25 year old otherwise healthy female. I have been wearing myopic + astigmatism glasses for over 15 years, and I have been using computers & phones many hours a day for over 10 years with no previous problem.

One day 3 months ago while working on my computer, I suddenly felt a little strain on my eyes (between my eyebrows) that's alleviated by looking away from screen, so I didn't think much of it.

However the next day, I found that the strain had become quite persistent-- as soon as I look at any phone / computer screen, I will instantly get pressure in between my eyes, and I started noticing that the pressure also happens when I'm in the presence of light (light sensitivity).

Here is a full list of symptoms:

1. Pressure in between eyebrows, eyeballs, and sometimes even cheekbones that starts almost instantly when:
  • Looking at screens (phones, computers)
  • Looking/in the presence of light (light sensitivity) - I only find relief when it's pitch black
  • Wearing my (myopia & astigmatism) glasses

This pressure is best described as wearing glasses which power/prescription is too strong; except times that by 10 and put that all around your eyeballs

1. Dry eyes (as in, difficulty producing the tears itself)

2. My vision is fine (no double vision) but for a long time (even before these pains started), I do notice that it's difficult to maintain convergence when looking at near objects; it's like my eyes just wants to relax all the time and doesn't like to converge

3. Occasional nausea when walking, especially in places with bright lights (this was never an issue before)

4. On top of the pressure-like pain, my eyes just feel very tired most of the time even when I've distanced myself from screens & not doing anything

On the fourth (!) eye doctor that I went to, I was finally diagnosed with Exophoria.

I had suspicions from some googling and finding similarities between the list of possible symptoms and what I've been suffering from, so I thought I had finally found a root cause for my pain-- However, the optometrist who diagnosed me said they don't think the exophoria is what's causing my pain; as my case is mild (6 prism diopters)...

I've been trying to convince myself that my eyes are just fatigued and all I need is rest; but it's been 3 months-- while I do have slightly better days, my eyes seem to keep relapsing and I keep having this chronic pain that triggers within minutes of screenwork no matter how long I rest prior to that.

So, I wanted to know if there's anyone with exophoria / phorias in general who have had experiences with these symptoms??

Or, if you have had these symptoms and have learned to manage it, could you kindly share what your root problem was, and how you overcome it / manage it daily?

Please help me, I feel like this condition has started to become debilitating and I just want to have hope that I can eventually live like a normal person again.

Thank you!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Your comment about light sensitivity made me read your whole comment again. I think the basic cause is too much screen work . You are not blinking enough and your eyes are drying out. This dry eye syndrome is becoming a world wide problem with so many people now working on screens and having leisure time on screens.

If this is not tackled now you are heading , in my opinion for severe dry eye, which is very disabling, and as you say, debilitating. Firstly cut down on your screen time. Dont look at a computer or phone late at night. If its not necessary , then just dont.

Start training yourself to blink rapidly and often when you are using a screen. And also when you are not. Dont use screens in a darkened room.

Get yourself some artificial tears eye drops...easily available. Also called Hypromellose and use often during the day and just before sleep. You can use these as often as you wish.

If you use eye make up try to go without. That will also irritate a dry eye. When you get the condition under control you can experiment with sensitive eye products, Keep all soaps, face washes, shower gels, shampoos away from your eyes. You are aiming to preserve the natural oils that your eye needs on the cornea.

This may in itself help you enough to keep dry eye at bay.

I have suffered with this condition for some time and have a good idea of what you are going through. If you would like more tips or advice please send me a private message by clicking on the blue message box under my name.

• Posted

Hi Summersong, any updates on your issue? anything helped? my brother has similar pressure sensations and he says his eyes are also burning in corners, which prevents him to sit at computer even for 10 minutes...

• Posted

Hi there, not sure if you´re still following this post? If so, please let me know. I also have exophoria and have similar symptoms. Managed to reduced it significantly with vision therapy. Will be glad to share more info and experienced if you like, here or by messaging.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.