chronic health anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

help last week i convinced myself i had ms due to tingling and numbness in feet face and one hand,now im sure i have poems syndrome,i have so many of the symptoms,docs diagnosed me with chronic health anxiety 2 months ago advice please anybody

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

the only advice that really works for health anxiety is to stay off google, trust your dr when they say you have no health issues and address the root anxiety behind it all. if you dont itll be a never ending circle chasing symptoms, it literally will never end. none of that is easy,but dealing with the root anxiety is the only thing that will help you, chasing symptoms wont at all
  • Posted

MS and POEMS Syndrome are rather different. I doubt you have either. If you carry on looking up illnesses you will probably think you have a myriad of other diseases. I must admit I am a terrible hyperchondriac and if something is mentioned on TV I have it, including ebola! In fact I am probably healthier than most people, I have never taken anti biotics, I have never purchased over the counter pain killers, I have never had 'flu, I have never even had indigestion. As JCMG says keep away from Dr Google and count yourself lucky. 
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

Keep in mind that anxiety itself manifests in many ways . I too suffer from anxiety and have gone through various symptoms , such as yours during panic attacks .the body can react to various degrees of alert, in your particular symptoms these feelings . Point is anxiety pulls a number on you .

• Posted

i didnt search for illness's i have the symptoms then did an online diagnosis thing and it brought up poems,id never even heard of it before! i have so many of the symptoms-tingling numbness in feet then legs,then one hand,then face,this doesnt come and go ever!its constant,i also have a couple of the other symptoms-increase in facial hair,little bit of change in pigmentation on cheeks ,sooo scared
    • Posted

I self-diagnosed myself with polymyalgia rheumatica, but when I saw the only treatment (steroids) I dismissed the idea, feeling I could never have anything so serious.  Well, many months later i presented to a competent doctor who paid attention to my symptoms, unlike previous doctor, and guess what? - I have polymyalgia and the treatment, although scary, has been a miracle.  So pluck up your courage and go to your doctor with your symptoms written down so that you don't forget any of them.  If you feel insecure or intimidated by the medical profession, take a friend or family member with you for support.  Hopefully your mind will be put to rest, or if you do have a serious illness you will get the best treatment for it.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.