Chronic Sinus trouble/catarrh

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Guys

I am new here and want to share my experience and see if anyone can offer any help?

I am 46 and have had bad sinus trouble since primary school I always had a runny nose which was regularly green and thick 🤢 I remember being prescribed loads of bottles of medicine/tablets/sprays none of which worked. I went to ENT consultants who gave me a sinus nose wash. I had my ananoids out aged 10, then when I was 26 I was had lining in my nose trimmed (an awful experience) all totally useless. I stopped going to GP over the years as I was left of the opinionI had to live with this.

Things are getting worse though and I can't carry on like this. My nose is constantly blocked. I bring up mucus from my throat, My breath stinks 😷 I wake up in the morning with a dry furry vile smelling mouth. I have to constantly eat mints and not get too close to anyone when talking. My poor hubby can't kiss me 😟

I have read up about Neti pots and bought one to try and also the Neil med system but I could only do it a few times as I got a horrendous ice cream swimming pool sensation type headache very bad!

Does anyone else suffer similar to me? Are there any supplements,complimentary therapies I could try?

Really would love ease from this horrible condition

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

No one able to help? 😢

• Posted

Hello,

?Sorry you are going through this. I am going through the same thing, I am only 26! gah!. Constant congestion, sleep trouble, overproducing mucus (very thick), sometimes it's that bad it builds up on my chest and affects my breathing which triggers panic attacks very similar to asthma attacks!. Not to mention the constant fatigue, headaches, dizziness and swollen glands that goes with sinus problems rolleyes

?Have you done any allergy testing or if all tradional meds don't work (which for me, haven't), have you looked at getting tested for something called silent reflux?

?I am getting a camera next week to test for it, hoping it comes back positive as I really want to find an answer!  - I have tried numerous meds, ruling out caffiene, diary etc. Nothing works!

?Sinus problems occur by either allergy or imflammation normally, so if it's niether, it could well be acid reflux. As for a test?

?A neti pot worked the best for me, I used it once in the morning and at night. It really does clear a lot out (not pleasant) but it's the only way to stop infections by removing the bacteria which would otherwise build up. Just make sure you use twice boiled water though - never tap water!

?As for herbal, I take a lot of guaifenesin?, this is just to thin the mucus and literally drink twice you're normal intake of water. I have read that Ginkgo and Ginseng are meant to be good for the natural antibaterial properties but haven't tried them yet sadly.

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear you having awful symptoms too it's a horrible thing. I have eliminated diary, chocolate, coffee etc over the years but no effect. I just can't bear a neti pot I get such a pain I have to stop like a swimming pool sensation. I don't know if it's because I'm so clogged up.

Never heard of a silent reflux. Hope you get good results. Do you take guaifenesen in table form? Only heard of it in medicine.

• Posted

Perhaps you could consider seeing an ENT again, even if that means seeing several until you find one that you're satisfied with. GP's aren't the best when it comes to major sinus problems, in my opinion.

Neti pots are a catch 22, so to speak. They can work very well for some people, but absolutely horrible for others. They can introduce new bacteria, as well as trap old/new bacteria and that starts a whole new host of problems. As my ENT says "Humidifiers are your best friend. Humidify, humidify, humidify". Hopefully that can help until you can find a good ENT. ?

• Posted

Hi Kim

Yes think I will go to ENT again. And think will get a humidifier for beside bed.

Thanks for reply 😊

• Posted

Hi Joanne, I've had environmental allergies all my life. When young I was always being told " blow your nose " When, as an adult, I had repeated visits to my GP for sinus infections I was sent to an ENT . A CT revealed a head full of polyps. I had them removed. A couple years later some grew back and again removed. He explained that the antibiotics would get rid of the infection inside but the polyps wouldn't let the sinus' to drain. Those surgeries were well worth the agrivation. My suggestion is to see an ENT . Good luck

• Posted

wow this is me (28) and have not found relief since (22). Have you found a solution?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.