Chronic Stomach Pain for over 3 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there

Im new to this forum and was hoping either others were having the same problems as me or for any advice.

Ive had ongoing reflux for over 10 years plus a sliding hiatal hernia. Have been on PPIs for over 10 years which have been effective at dealing with reflux symptoms.

3 months ago started to have a nagging pain in left upper stomach. It got slowly worse and has now been there 24/7 for over 3 months. After 6 weeks I thought id better see the GP. Was given bloods and stool tests - all negative. Was referred for routine gastroscopy and ultrasound. Have not had either yet. Hopefullly they will show what is wrong and I hope nothing too serious.

I was looking for a little reassurance I guess to see if others are having similar issues. Currently the pain is in the left side and feels sore, gnawing and a bit like continuous stitch. It does ease a little when walking. It doesnt seem affected by what I eat. No nausea or vomiting. It radiates to my back, generally the lower back. It is impacting on my life and basically getting me down both with the continually pain which never stops and the worry about what might be causing it. I have since managed to get my scope status raised to urgent which I hope might speed that process up.

Any advice welcome !

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi. stomach pain is the worst. i had/have that pinching pulling sharp pains that radiate to my back on left side. i started to suspect that my PPI might be making things worse which seems to be correct as it has lessens quite a bit since going down in dose. I sometimes use pepcid instead now too. these issues are awfully worrying , i know. most doctors will tell you it's not the PPI but the pharmacist told me stomach pains can be a side effect! im not sure what is worse, reflux pain or stomach! i wish you healing and more answers!...

• Posted

It sounds like an acid problem in your stomach. Hopefully the GP will point you in the right direction.

• Posted

Hi Chris-

I'm sorry to hear you're having to deal with this. I'm not sure when you posted, have you had any more testing that gave you some answers? I have a lot of the same symptoms, so I sympathize.

• Posted

Quick update

Gastroscopy today. Initial findings were erosive gastritis. Negative for H Pylori. Awaiting biopsy results for confirmation. Have ultrasound in a week to check abdominal organs..in particular gall bladder to see if that might be a cause of the pain too. No idea what the solution is.. the written report says to get GP to up PPI dose... which is already 40mg a day. I guess diet change will also be required. Its been a tough 3 months as the pain never goes away or gets better. Fingers crossed !

• Posted

It is a permanent gnawing sensation in upper left side ...below the ribs (not under them). It can vary in terms of the pain... often it also feels very sore, or burning sensation and spreads from the left side to the centre . It doesnt seem to be affected by what I eat. The only time I dont feel it is when I wake up in the morning lying down. As soon as I get up its there. Every day.

Im trying some stuff called Silicol Gel... anyone else tried it ?

Its very uncomfortable and makes concentration very hard... so work for me is not easy. It does also seem slightly better when walking too.

The pain is a constant 2.5/10 and rises to a 6 or 7/10 at most.

I also get heartburn but have been suffering from reflux for a long time and also been on PPIs for years too.

I have not yet heard from my GP about what I am supposed to do to help get rid of the erosive gastritis... my reading indicates its not easy to do and can take a while.

• Posted

reading your post with interest Chris

did you ever get to the bottom of all this? my doctor wants to out me on ppi's as I have erosive gastritis and gerd, i am worried i may have low stomach acid not high, but they dont want to do a test for it, just dish out the pills.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.