Cipro is poison

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 70 year old female - i had a blood infection ( bacteremia ) from a UTI that i did not know i had- no symptoms.  in the hospital i was on IV antibiotics and was discharged on Cipro: i didn't want to take the drug because i am familiar with the nasty side effects which include muscle pain, aches all over and the potential for ruptured tendsons: i was told that no other drug woudl be as effective so i took the poison pill for 8 days.  My platelets became very elevated which is why i stopped taking the drug.  I had horri ble consitpation on top of constipation i already have and even though i am off the drug for two days I still have problems in that area even with a large amount of magnesium.

since i stopped taking the drug i have chest aches and a shooting pain on my side.  I just wonder if any of you out there have had these types of issues after you stopped taking the drug.

I have advice -- do not take this drug for minor infections: it is a horrible drug and should be used only for the most serious infections. I hope to never take it again and hope these problems i am having resolve soon.

Thanks for any and all replies.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marilyn,

I know these symptoms well as my husband took this drug for a UTI a few years ago.  It's ridiculous that they told you nothing else would do - he had 'urosepsis' a year prior to being given them (he has a permanent catheter) and was given IV augmentin and co-amoxiclav - both serious antibiotics but not so damaging as Cipro.  You'd had symptoms from it before so you knew it was not good for you -you're main problem may be that it will hit you even harder this time and take you longer to get over it. 

It says in the leaflet not to give it to people over 60 (my husband was just 60 when he took it -it was his second course), so another eason they should have tried harder to give you something else!

It's good that you knew to take magnesium and I think that you perhaps know some of the websites to go to for help.  There is a post on this FQ discussion started by the moderator here

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

which gives links to useful websites  -and also the address for filling in a 'Yellow Card Report'.  These are essential so that the MHRA know how many people are being affected by these terrible drugs. The rest of that thread will be interesting to you and there are several threads to do will Cipro and the other Quins - some date back years and this is where I started to learn all about it!

Do you take probiotics for your poor gut?  Live yoghurt of course, and kefir (sold in Sainsbury's in the milk aisle) is good - also capsules from a health shop.  You'll get loads more ideas from the other threads so i'll let you get on with it!

Best Wishes,

Miriam

• Posted

I truly consider Cipro to be poison: it is toxic. i hope never to take this drug again. The infectious disease doc was adamant about Cipro, even though the culture and sensitivity showed i was sensitive to just about every drug on the list.  I think docs prescribe this drug for minor infections which i dont understand (although i did have bacteremia): my platelets went up to 547,000 (up 3 times what they were a week ago) so she finally took me off that horrible drug. It gave me horrible constipatin, muscle aches and who knows what will happen down the road as a person can get ruptured tendons long after this nasty vile drug is stopped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.