Ciprofloxacin 2 pills

Posted , 5 users are following.

i am a 50 year old male, i went to the docs with left kidney pain and not being able to pee properly. she did a dip test and said there was no uti showing. she then said that i might have a kidney infection with possible kidney stones. or one or the other. she then said i am to take ciprofloxacin for 7 day two pills twice a day. took the first on monday night. and within two hrs started getting abdomen pain. and felt a bit out of it. day two woke up feeling better. i was VERY approhensive to take another but did anyway. two hrs in and felt very high also felt a bit disconected from myself also behind my right knee has started to hurt with a bit of numbness running down shin bone to my ankle. have made the descision i am not taking anymore. all this for just incase i have a infecction.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Very wise. I hope that is the only problem you get from the drug she foolishly prescribed.

• Posted

If you go back to the doctor make sure you tell her (or any doctor) that you've had these abdomen pains and leg problems. Also tell them to check the new guidelines that the EMA (European Medicines Agency) have just issued regarding the fluoroquinolones (the class which includes ciprofloxacin). They are no longer to be used for 'just in case'.

The dipstick test doesn't always show infection so the doctor should have taken a urine sample and sent it off for analysis. If you have a kidney infection it's important that you do have treatment for it and an analysis should show which antibiotic is best for your infection (Cipro is a broad spectrum antibiotic that doctors love to use as it kills off just about anything!). Hopefully you don't have an infection but if the pain continues you will need to get it checked out properly. Don't accept any more Cipro - or other fluoroquinolone (make sure to check the class), it obviously doesn't agree with you.

The packet leaflet warns you of what side effects you may experience and tells you to stop if you get any pains so it's good that you did stop. Doctors often say the pains will stop once you finish the course but this isn't true - the pains often get much worse! The feeling of being 'high' might be because the Cipro can cross the blood-brain barrier (although most doctors will deny this as well).

Out of interest, what size tablets were they? To be told to take two twice a day is unusual as they come in various sizes.

It might be a good idea to have some type of dairy product (drink milk!) as this slows the absorption of the Cipro and you may still have some in your gut. Something like live yoghurt is also good as this will help replace any good bacteria in your gut - many people get stomach problems because all their gut flora is wiped out so this might be to do with your abdomen pains. You could get some probiotic capsules which will help repopulate your gut.

Don't have any Ibuprofen or other NSAIDs for a few weeks at least as these can make any side effects worse - or even kick them off. The same with steroids such as prednisolone.

If you do get further leg pains or other unexplained aches, burning or tingling feelings check out the fluoroquinolone antibiotic discussions on this website. The thread started by the emis moderator has links to sites with more information.

These antibiotics can ruin your life but fortunately awareness is beginning to spread and the new guidelines should appear in the packet leaflets soon.

• Posted

Miriam, The moderators link is rather old and very long now. A version of your post to Richard would be a good start to an updated one.

Has the EMA update now been sent to individual doctors ? Our one is very good and sticks new ones like that on his wall to remind himself or pulls one out of a drawer saying this is our latest advice.

I liked one he had on Stains that said doctors should explain the pro's and con's of them and let the patient decide for themselves. My wife again said that she prefers not to take them.

• Posted

Hi Derek, yes, the moderator wrote that about 4 years ago now so I'll ask him to update it when I see the new DSU so it can be included. I haven't heard that it's been issued yet (they take their time) but it must be due soon.

Did you hear You and Yours on Friday 8th? The first item was about FQs and whether doctors are over prescribing them. You can probably find it on catch-up or something

• Posted

That should of course be STATINS.

• Posted

Hi Miriam Have spoken to you on this forum before and have just seen your name again when you were replying to Jane about her back pain and Fibro. I also replied hoping I might be of some help.Thought I would give you an update on my position. If you remember I had cipro for a uti which after I completed the course I found out that the urine sample taken did turn out to be positive. This was in November. I am ok but still get odd pains on top of the usual ones I am used to. I do get odd pains now and again in the ankle more to the side over the bone they don't last long though. I have back trouble and sometimes the pain comes from there down the leg to foot. So hard to say if Cipro is involved. At the moment I am following a low fodmap diet for IBS only 2 weeks in so hard to say if it is helping. I am sure though that the bloating and pain is worse than it was for years and I think it is to do with taking 2 lots of antibiotics including the cipro with only about 1 month between. I know you did say that it can take a year before your digestive system recovers. I cannot take probiotics whilst doing this diet but will eventually and I am hopeful that I will get better. The anxiety although not so bad continues. I have it on my medical records never to take cipro of any other antibiotic of this class as does my husband who you might remember had a reaction to this drug some years ago. My own gp knows it should only be used as a last resort when no other is available and a gp that I saw recently for something unrelated also knew about the restrictions on prescribing so it looks like the message is getting through. My gp has suggested I might be referred to a rheumatologist to see if I have Fibromyalgia. This was after my gp examined me and said I have quite a few of the triggers points for this condition. I am thinking about it being aware that the symptoms maybe both anxiety and cipro related.I hope you are well and am I right in saying it is your husband who had cipro related problems. I hope he too is well.Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol, thanks for the reply and news of how you're getting on.

I have heard of the fodmap diet (a friend was on it a while ago) but I have to say I didn't realise probiotics were not advised. I've just had a look at a couple of sites and, while the university site say wait a while, one called a little bit yummy (all one word) says:

Probiotics are good for gut health just be careful selecting your probiotic food sources. Focus on including a wide variety of low FODMAP foods in your diet, and boost your intake of low FODMAP prebiotic and probiotic foods.

They list 6 forms of low fodmap probiotics that you can take including high lactase kefir and yoghurt.

I really do appreciate that you need to get your iBS issues sorted out but if you can incorporate some of their probiotic ideas into your diet I would think that it could only help.

You will probably never know if your pains are Cipro related or not (nothing is straightforward!). All you can do is try not to put strain on your joints, especially if they are painful, and to not take NSAIDs - and cross your fingers! Try to stay fit without straining at all.

I hope the anxiety will lift as you see more benefits from your eating plan. I often suggest a square or two of dark chocolate as it helps raise your seratonin levels. I just looked on that same website and they say

" The good news is that one serving (5 pieces or 30g) of dark chocolate is low FODMAP and can be enjoyed during the strict low FODMAP phase"! Well, that might indeed be good news to you!

I hope this helps but don't be afraid to look around the websites to see what else you can find.

Good luck with the diet. M

• Posted

Hi Miriam

Thank you for your reply.

When I started the diet I was not sure about probiotics but the leaflet the dietitian gave me said not to take them until after you finish the diet. I do belong to a low fodmap forum and they do mention about kefir and yogurt although during the elimination period I am lactose free. I am hoping to start reintroducing high fodmap foods in 2,weeks so will add natural yogurts then. I do know the Little bit Yummy site they have some good recipes.

I know I will never know what part Cipro played in any case nothing doctors can do. Anxiety is a big part of it but I will not take medication. Likewise I only take paracetamol for pain.Exercise is another thing so hard to do if your stomach is bloated or your body aches so must try harder. I do know about dark chocolate and although I prefer milk I am learning to enjoy a square broken into small bits and eaten slowly. I get the 85% one. I am getting lots of tips from the forum and I am feeling better less bloated and constipation is much better. I do thank you for your interest and your kindness in trying to help. I noticed that you have asked on the fibro forum for members to say what they think.might have started it. As my gp seems to think.I might have it I will have think and see if I can contribute one or two things come to mind apart from Cipro.Thanks once again

Carol

• Posted

forgot to say i was on 500mg of cipro. since then i have been to the hospital with leg pain was starting to think it moght be a blood clot but after doing some blood tests they have come back clear. then the doctor said to me that he thought the pain was due to tenanitas of the knee. hopfulky its not going to hurt for to long.. and the cipro has been thrown into the bin..

• Posted

Richard, leg pain is one of the most common Cipro side effects so the doctor was right when he said it might be tendinitis. Keep the leg rested and don't put any strain on it. Your doctor probably won't have said but you might be at risk of further damage for a good few weeks (delayed reactions are all part and parcel of Cipro and are mentioned in the new warnings).

Make sure you don't over-exert yourself as any of your joints and limbs can be at risk. At the first sign of any pain stop what you're doing as it could be a warning that something's going to give.

Re read what I said in my previous post about Ibuprofen, probiotics etc. You could also take anti-oxidants and multi-minerals as these help repair the damage caused by the Cipro.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.