Citalopram day 22 I'm struggling

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all need some help please if anyone can, maybe just need a bit of reassurance, if anyone could get back to me, that's on citalopram

Thanks,

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What's the matter Wendy, I'm sure there will be lots of support for you on here

• Posted

Thank you for getting back to me Gerrymoo,

I started citalopram and the first 3 days were fine then the next 7 were awful high anxiety, agitation, sweats, electric shock type feelings,

Got through them then had about 7days which were manageable and felt I could cope a little better,

But the last 5 days have been awful again, could this still be side effects? I'm on 10mg to start with as I'm quite sensitive to meds,

Thanks

Wendy x

• Posted

Hi Wendy!

I'm no expert but I would say it's still on going side effects, it fluctuates from day to day which is terribly frustrating. Just when you think you've turned a corner you feel back to square one.

I started on 10mg citalopram for 3 weeks and have done 6 weeks on 20mg as I had a sudden bout of anxiety. I had all the horrendous side effects for the second time which are slowly settling now. The intensity of the nausea and terrible agitation has greatly reduced and I just feel yuk now with a few palpitations and slight but brief anxiety first thing.

Hang on in there Wendy, try and eat regularly and nutritious lyrics, practice meditation and get plenty of exercise even if you can't be bothered try and make the effort.

It will be worth it and before you know it you will be able to look back and reflect on the progress you've made. X

• Posted

Supposed to say nutritiously 😃,

• Posted

Thanks Gerrymoo

I was hoping it was still just side effects, but wasn't sure just with it starting to ease then getting worse again, usually I can't cope with the side effects but Iv got this far, 😊

I just wanted to know that others had suffered in this way and that it was normal x

• Posted

Hi Wendy

Dont worry its still early days for you yet it took me at least 5wks to feel better on 20mg a day just hang in there you will feel better soon sometimes it feels as if you are getting worse to start with but it is just because it takes time to work let us know how you get on

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth

I think I just need feed reassurance as I was starting to feel better then now I'm worse again, I was hoping it was just side effects still trying to settle down, thanks for your reply x

• Posted

Hi Wendy it's still very early days I was 5 weeks on 20mg and then upped to 30mg which I've been on for 6 weeks now. I had terrible side effects in the first few weeks and just as they started to settle I upped my dose and they started all again. Citalopram can increase anxiety to hit the roof, has the dr given you anything else to help with this? I had diazepam if I needed it in the first weeks.

unfortunately it takes time and everyone is different. Keep going though xx

• Posted

Hi Victoria

Yes that's what I was hoping that it's just getting into my system I think because I had a rough week with side effects then started to feel better and then rough again, I was getting worried,

Yes my doctor hasn't given me diazapam for when neeeded bit I'm a bit scared of that 😏

Thank you for replying

Wendy xx

• Posted

I was scared stiff of taking diazepam but it got me through a terrible few days (twice), my gp reassured me it was OK to take them and I didn't get hooked !

Take them if you need them, it's worth it if it gets you through, obviously don't drive and try and take the least amount needed to calm you.

Good luck Wendy, let us know how you get on

• Posted

Thanks again, I'm glad I found this site, all other ones are horror stories, what dosage were you given if you don't mind me asking

Iv been given 5mg just when needed, I had to use it once yesterday I really could have done with using it twice but was scared I am allowed upto 3 times a day,

Wendy x

• Posted

Hi Wendy

I had 2mg tabs and when my anxiety was at its worst 3 tabs (6mg) wasn't enough so for a few days I had to take an extra 1 or 2 tabs at lunchtime. Anxiety usually became manageable early afternoon. The thoughts of the better afternoon/ evenings kept me going. After the worst few days I cut diazepam right back to 1 tab then half for a few days. Haven't taken any for weeks now and don't even think about it.

Still have to take occasional antisickness tablet though!

• Posted

Hi Gerrymoo, did you take 3 tablets 3 times a day or 3 tablets a day? I'm allowed to take three 2mg tablets three times a day so that's 18mg but apart from make me super drowsy they don't really take the edge off!

Sara.

• Posted

Hi sarah,

I took on a really bad day 6mg (3x2mg) first thing and then perhaps another 4mg (2×2mg ) at lunchtime

. Yes didn't feel great on them but found the anxiety unbearable and def the worst of the side effects. Thought I needed admitting to hospital etc . I must have been a right pain and kept having to ring gp to check. I was just saying to my gp yesterday I can hardly believe I was that bad - you will get through this, just remember it's a side effect and it will dwindle and disappear.

Keep in touch Sara you are def not alone x

• Posted

I'm currently on week 5 of citalopram (3 weeks 10mg 2 weeks 20mg) so the diazepam is there to help when needed really. I've never actually taken the whole 18mg in a day just 6mg in morning and 6mg again in early evening when I was particularly bad. I think it just doesn't work for me, but then I wonder if I'm expecting it to make me feel completely better so don't really notice any improvement. Hoping the citalopram will start to kick in soon, it's worked for me before but stupidly came off it in may after 8 years.

S x

• Posted

Feeling horrendous today, so tired anxiety is high and feel sick, I feel like Iv went right back and can't cope without anything, feelings of fear and failure also,

Please tell me this is just part of it, as I really hope so.

Wendy x

• Posted

Hi Sara

How are you doing? How long have you been taking citalopram?

I can relate to how your feeling, hopefully it will ease soon,

Wendy x

• Posted

Hi Wendy, I've been taking citalopram for 5 weeks now. (3 weeks on 10mg and 2 weeks on 20mg). Previously I was on them for 8 years but came off them in may and my anxiety started getting worse again in September so went back on them. It sounds like a lot of people feel worse before they get better.

S x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.