Citalopram - Help weird side effect

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on Celexa for 2 days, I completely understand that it takes time to get into your system - I do not have any of the "side effects" what I have been going through is much worse. I do not do drugs of any kinds in my everyday life, this is the first anti drug I have taken. My problem is 20 mins after I take me pill at night I'm pretty much in a coma feeling like I'm on some sort of bad ecstasy trip It lasted for a full 6 hours last night and I can feel the after effects right now - MISERABLE!  I was completely open with my doctor today and told her word for word how I was feeling, she wants to put me on Paxil - the reviews are 100% worse than - Celexa. I do not know what to do... 

Did anyone else have this feeling? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I felt completely out of it the first week too and it is a horrible feeling. I do think it could be your body getting use to it. I remember experiencing much the same as you for the first week but it did pass and then I developed some unpleasant side effects which were short lived. It may be that your body cannot tolerate cit but I would definitely have another discussion with your gp.

Good luck and wishing you a better tomorrow.

L xxx

• Posted

Hi Lisa

What time do you take your meds at? This happened to me for about a week when i first started on cit. What dose are you on?

I had this ectasy feeling for about a week and after that it completely went, im nearlt week 7 now and having probs with insomnia but the the only side effect left.

Dont panic, i remember thinking just say im the one who had these horrendous side effects for weeks but they clear up pretty quick! Stick with cit, seriously! xxx

• Posted

My doc gave me 20mg, before I started taking it 2 days ago I looked at all the reviews and I cut it in half 10mg since I've never taken it before. I haven't seen a review that shows this effect. I have two childern and there is NO WAY I can take care of them without my husband there. I feel like there is no hope now and I'm scared to take it again. My eyes were completely dilated. Took me forever to get to sleep - I'm working off of 6 hours of sleep the last two days. I also work full time 6 days a week.... ):
    • Posted

Hi Lisa! That was a good idea to cut it in half, i honestly think you have just freaked yourself out by the intial side effects, especially if you say you have never taken any other kind of drugs before. I think the feeling of not being in control is what is the most scary. The first 3 days were the worst for me. After that that weird feeling started to go. Have you taken another pill? I really think you need to stick with the cit, i do believe it is one of the better antidepressants

Hope your ok xxx

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Sounds like you are experiencing side effects, just not as comomn as most! There are numerous types of side effects and we all, as individuals, experience sometimes the same, or similar, new ones are interesting for discussion (as crap as they are!) and of course we all experience different levels of intensity, if any at all.

When I got used to Cita (Citalopram, UK name for this med) I decided to take mine just before bed to try and get rid of vivid, multiple dreams that I started to experience and after a while it worked. However, I took the advice from here and let it take as long as it took to work and I'm glad I did.

Unfortunately, it does sound that your Dr has little experience (unless there is a specific medical reason for suggesting changing meds) with Celexa as once you start taking it, it is in your system and you can't just stop and swap or you'll really have some fun withdrawls! It is not addictive, just takes time to get out yer system! You have to give it time and that takes as long as it takes. You may need increasing, but I think you need a Dr who knows about "sticking plasters for the brain" first. In the meantime keep reading, asking and posting here. This is where you will learn about this med and get the support and friendship you need. I did and now I am helping. I am currently levelled at 40mg after 4months now at 9 months. Tried reducing couple of months back and that went Pete Tong (wrong), see my Dr (she is brilliant and knows a lot about this type of med) next week for an update and advice.

ood luck and keep asking - "Welcome to the Club!"

• Posted

Hi David I'm new to this, on day 5 and feeling very nervous and anxious, I understand this is a side effect, did you have this and when did it subside?

Thanks x

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

When I first started them it felt like I was coming down off drugs like the worst feeling ever, my eyes felt like they were popping out of my head, I had a tight jaw etc, hang in there u will be ok

• Posted

Hey Lisa, certainly some weird stuff going on in the begining but! I am so glad I choose this med as it really is the reason I'm doing well xx you do have to be patient though!
    • Posted

BTW I had dilated pupils was freaky even my wife was worried ! sleep about 5-7 hours most nights since but am used too it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.