Citalopram. Really need some people’s advice or help. I’m lost and I’m really struggling 🥲

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi everyone so where do i start? im not good at this sort of thing so ill try my best 😃

first thing is i have extreme anxiety and probably depression too as its making me lonely and sad as anything.

i was on citalopram for this where i got moved up to 20mg but i came off them after roughly 6 months, i didnt feel like they were that effective tbh. after revisiting my doctor i told him that i came off them (this was a new doctor that i saw who was really good and wanted to know and actually was genuinly worried for me)

he asked about my life etc, my life basically consists of me never leaving the house ever and its been like this since i left school, im now 29. i also drink at night and have done since i left school. i dont have a job or a social life.

and sorry if this grosses people out but i rip my toenails clean off, like the whole thing, i have to put wet tissiue around them and take painkillers. yes its very painful. ive heard this could be a sign of ocd. im also getting tested for adhd but i personally dont think i have that.

but i going for councelling and employment support to try help me which starts next week. my question is should i go back on the medication or take a higher dose or try something else? please someone help me it mean so much thankyou. theres more but i think ive written enough haha

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

try escitalopram its similar to citalopram but works better for anxiety also has less side effects. it works slightly faster than other ssri , also good fir depression and ocd

• Posted

oh does it? they put me on citalopram because as i drink alcohol, its one of the safest ones to take but yeah i have severe anxiety and overly obsessive thoughts that just scare and worry me.

im going for therapy soon as well, gonna get a call in feb. so i think i might wait till then and discuss it with them because then i can see my doctor after.

If escitalopram works better for this ill give it a go so thanks for your reply 😃

• Posted

its got the same chemical in it but more refined. its the newer version and the side effects was night and day from when i used citalopram.

Ive only done 3 weeks at the dose increase as not long started and already left the house to do things which is great as havnt left the house in months thats been in the last two weeks, my intrusive thoughts are slowing down. im still havig bad days with anxiety and depression but early on this medication

thanks

stewart

• Posted

happy for you mate, i hope things start to improve and get better. I understand the feeling of not going out, i hate going out lol. recently i have got out even if it was for a little while. but yeah i just want to spend all day im bed if im being honest. i just have to wait until the 8th which waiting is doing my head in. then hopefully have a chat with my doctor and see what he thinks. but its clear i do need to go back on some sort of medication. and it seems escitalopram is stronger than citalopram because the max for citalopram is 40 mg and the max for escitalopram is 20 mg. take care Stewart 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.