CKD and Anaemia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good Morning.

I wonder if anyone has had experience of taking a course of folic acid tablets followed by Vitamin B12 injections?  This was prescribed for me to improve the CKD related anaemia I have.  I already take an iron supplement but apparently, to make red blood cells, you also need folic acid and Vitamin C, which you don't do so well if you have CKD.  I have completed the course of both but new blood tests show not much improvement in my haemoglobin level.  Does anyone know what is the next step?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lyn, I'll be interested myself as I'm having the same issue.
    • Posted

Hello,

I have been taking iron tablets twice a day for a couple of years and at first, the iron did the trick and my haemoglobin got better.  Now however, my iron store (ferritin) is high but I'm not absorbing it as well.  The consultant thought that I might be short of Vitamin B12 and Folic acid and tests showed that I was so I had to take folic acid for 6 weeks followed by a course of Vitamin B12 injections- about 6 in all over two weeks. This did bring those levels up to normal but my Hb was only very slightly improved.

• Posted

Hi, I'm in the same situation. I was on 3 iron tabs and folic acid and not much change in my hemoglobin, I'm no longer on iron or folic acid as I had an iron infusion which seemed to work for a while. I'm no on EPO injection every ,2 weeks to increase my red blood cells. Also I would like to add that I have severe itching caused by my kidneys apparently, which no cream seems to ease

. Jackie

• Posted

Thanks fo replying. Can I ask what yor GFR was when you were offered EPO and if you are i the UK?  I'm sorry to hear about the itching.  it seems qute common in CKD.  Someone on the forum said that alo vera cream hlped but I have no personal experience of that.  I read an interesting article in ones of the sunda colour supplements that told of Maggie o'Farrell's ( famous writer) experiments to make a cream that soothed her daughter's very severe eczema.  She succeeded ad I thought I would write and ask her what went into it.
    • Posted

Hi yes I'm in the uk ( Cheshire) my kidney function is at 14, but I'm surprised at not having any symptoms, other than the itching and swelling of the legs. Age doesn't help, nearly 57
    • Posted

Hi,

Mine is 24 and I'm quite well apart rom the anaemia that comes with tiredness and a rather greater tendency to fight off infections much more slowly.  I'm in Kent and 74. Mine started with a uric acid stone in the ureter that surgeons pushed back into my kidney by mistake and then couldn't get out.  They tried lithotripsy which didn't work and ended up blasting it  from the inside with a laser. It didn't do me much good! Hope you continue to feel well.

• Posted

Ooh dear, that was a big mistake to make. I've got polycystic kidney's which I inherited from my mum, and my dad thankfully left me with factor v Leiden, blood clots too easily, hence the reason having had ,2 DVT's. Been on warfarin since 2000 and will be for ever more
    • Posted

That's hard.  My sister was on warfarin so I know you have to be careful with it. I hope things go well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.