CKD in just one kidney

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend has been diagnosed with stage 3b kidney disease in one of her kidneys. She's 23 years old.

Her consultant says the other kidney is fine, but that there is a higher risk than normal that she'll get it in that kidney as she's susceptible to it.

I've read that CKD usually affects both kidneys. Does anyone else have it in just one? What's the likelihood of it spreading? Does only having it in one kidney mean a better outlook?

Thanks a lot

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have ckd stage 3 in my right kidney, my left is normal and my doctor says it will probably remain normal unless I get lots of untreated infections and even then might remain normal. A lot depends on the reason for the kidney disease, do you know what has caused hers. Mine has been stable since diagnosis 16yrs ago.
    • Posted

Hi Louise,

Thank you very much for your reply. That's really encouraging to hear and I'm glad you're doing well!

She had an infection around 3-4 years ago which they suspect may have been the start of it. It doesn't seem to be hereditary.

Do you mind me asking what your GFR is? She's been told one kidney is fine, the other has lost around 40% function but also that her GFR is 45. I don't know much about it, but from what I've read that doesn't make sense? I thought that was a measure of both kidneys.

• Posted

Hi, my Gfr is sitting around the 55/59 mark and has been there pretty much since diagnosis. It did drop to below 50 at one point but we think that might be either a fluke result or because I was taking anti-inflamatories which is a no-no with kidney disease. The cause of mine is not known but like your girlfriend my doctor thinks it's from untreated infections as a child. I know it's frightening but my doctor did explain that the term chronic kidney disease is an unfortunate name given to something that although for some it's awful but for a large portion of those diagnosed it is manageable and shouldn't affect lifestyle. He also explained that a very low percentage of those with ckd3 go on to have further deterioration. It's easy to worry but read up about it, get advice and decide for yourselves how to live with it.

• Posted

Hi Rob,

Is it IGA nephropathy?  A diagnosis would help tremendously.

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I'd never come across IGA nephropathy before. The consultant didn't mention it, just that it was 'stage 3b kidney disease'. That was after a blood test and a scan. Do you think that's worth asking about?

Thanks a lot

• Posted

Hi, can I ask what IGA is also. I've never heard the term. Can I also ask what country you live in as I've noticed there are different terms and results mean different things from country to country.

• Posted

Hi Rob,

No, I would suggest that is too "closed" (yes / no) of a question.  The questions as I see it are:  

1)  if she has "kidney disease", what type of kidney disease?  Eg. what is the diagnosis?  Once you know that, then it should be possible to determine...

2)  what is the likelihood it could spread to her other kidney?

3)  is her kidney function likely to decrease over time?  If so, is there an estimated rate of decline?  Eg. what is the prognosis?  (Might not be possible to estimate)

4)  what, if anything, can she do about it?

Bear in mind:  if the disease restricts itself to one of her kidneys, even if that kidney goes to zero, she will still be fine.  People can live just fine with one kidney, if it comes down to it.

Be sure to let us know on the board, and I wish you and your girlfriend a positive diagnosis,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.