Clarithromycin - giving me so many problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

i wonder if anyone can help me, as mentioned Im on a course of Clarithromycin and I have so many side effects that I promise myself, never again, why.. from day two I’ve been so sick, both ends of me overworked!  Very anxious, can’t stop crying, headache but the worst is I’m so dizzy.  Has anyone had any of these or is it just me - mind you I had ten days of amoxicillin two weeks ago for sinus infection which it did clear up but then I developed a chest infection...

sorry for being so long winded, one more question, I’m on 2x500 for seven days, how long before this awful drug will be out of my system and will anxietyetc., settle when it’s finished.

thanks in advance, any advice would be gratefully received.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Created an account just so i could reply to you.

Doc prescribed me clarithromycin 500mg once a day for 30 days. The short answer to your question is I took the meds for about 7 days, it's been 10 days since I stopped and I'm just now getting my life back together. 

About 24 hours after my first dose the anxiety and palpitations hit me like a brick to the face. I can't even explain how debilitating this anxiety was. And the dizziness, insomnia, lack of appetite, dry mouth, diarrhea, muscle spasms, and crying over everything didn't help either. I almost lost my job with a firm I've been at for 4 years because of this. 

I have no history of anxiety/depression, taken this and other antibiotics many many times before. This experience was truly was unreal.

Anyway, I didn't understand if you're planning on completing the full round or stopping now, but my totally unqualified and unprofessional guess is that the longer you're on it the longer it takes to recover? They say it's out of your system in 12 hours but that's not my experience at all.

Again, I AM NOT A DOCTOR but here's a list (in no particular order) of what did the last few days that might have helped get this crap out of my body.

-Kefir (a yogurt drink that's apparently loaded in probiotics. Anything that mess with your gut's microbial balance can cause digestive issues as well as anxiety, and probiotics replace the good bacteria that antibiotics kill). 

-Probiotic pills (took a random strain off a drug store shelf for a few days but didn't research this much).

-Bananas (potassium for the muscle cramps, also helps with diarrhea)

- Avoid any food that stresses your liver i.e anything fatty, fried, dairy, salty, sugary, or processed (i know, sounds ridiculous, but Clarithromycin is metabolized by the liver so detoxing or at least not causing further strain on it should help).

-Water (a lot, all the time, to flush it out).

It will pass, I promise you. The symptoms will go away just as suddenly as when they first started. Let me know how you're doing now.

• Posted

First off “Sorry” I’m only seeing your reply now.  You are so good, I finished the tablets 6 days ago & anxiety is still getting me and I’m so tired...  I feel stupid as I should have read side effects before taking the tablets, but my GP knows my history with anxiety etc., and I really am a bit peed off with him for giving me these awful tablets...  to be honest I sat and cried before I put the tablet into my mouth, how bad is that, in hindsight I should have just stopped after day one and asked for another, but I trusted the GP as we had a conversation about coming off anxiety tablets- the day I was given the course of this horrible tablet - HELLO ...  I missed a very important family event the other day as there was no way I could sit for an hour in a crowded room without having to leave (run out) ..I would dearly love to know if and when the effects will ease.  sorry for the rant, but you have given me heart with your reply, it’s not just me.  Take care and “Thank you” for taking the time to reply.

• Posted

Hi Jean, i'm presuming you've recovered now? I'm currently going through exactly the same thing!! x

• Posted

Sounds like the antibiotic didnt fully clear the body infection. Remember infection spreads the longer it is left the cause havoc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.