Classic shingles symptoms but No rash...is it shingles???

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had classic shingles symptoms but never got the rash (and my doctor diagnosed as shingles).  Left side only, numbness, itching pain on one side of my neck/shoulder.  Antivirals reduced pain and itchyness but I still remain totally numb there and occasionaly having itching or slight pain at 8 weeks out.  Now my lips and the end of my tongue feel different...not numb or painful but just different enough that I notice it. I am trying not to be a hypocondriac...but it worries me that it is not Shingles and something more neurological- MS...etc... My gut tells me this is all related to the shingles but.... 

Has anyone else had a similar experience with symptoms like these? 

My understanding that blood tests are fairly inconclusive..

Thanks!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Although you must have had shingles, maybe you now have another condition? So may be best to see your doctor again, just to be on the safe side?
  • Posted

Dear  Jenaa11,

this is not a direct reply to you, but as I do not know where or how to raise the issue I am contacting you.

My granddaughter was diagnosed with shingles today.  Could you let me know how to start a discussion on shingkes in children, and where to get more information?

Thanks and I would apprteciate a reply.

• Posted

Im experiencing symptoms similar to shingles myself, the itching below my left breast on my rib cage, severe burning until i have to put a ice pack on it , pain that almost feels like a stabbing yet cramping pain, ive had it about 4 days now, its kind of going around to my side and back but i have absolutely no rash and ive never had the chicken pox, i had told my pharmacist about what i was experiencing and he advised me to make a appointment with my doctor ASAP, the same thing happened to his sister i have always been told you can only get shingles if you've had chicken pox, but he said his sister had never had them was 50 years old having same symptoms over looked them to long by the time she got to doctor they had spread all over her body and she almost died and has some kind of nerve condition now, that you can still get them without chicken pox because he's now seen it with his own eyes and she never had a rash its called internal shingles, so im really worried now i have a appointment but its still 3 days out, ive had one other person say it sounded like what she went through before having her gallbladder removed, i will update everyone after my appointment.
  • Posted

I have had shingles several times. The 2nd last I was sure that I did not get a rash, but I had what I thought were scratches on my back. The Doctor confirmed it was the rash. So I guess the symptoms can be just as bad with very little rash.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.