Cleaning the house to improve my indoor air quality.

Posted , 4 users are following.

well I have taken down the window blinds and have them soaking in vinager in the bath tub as we can't use harsh cleaning agents   Vinager Also works great on Windows.  Any way I have lived in this hose for 8 years never cleaned the blinds and the water is so yellow from when I used to smoke.  I am just In awe..  I also go a couple of cheap plants to freshin up the pace.  

Any body got got some healthy tips?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pam. I have air purifiers in most rooms. Works great!!! We also have an airpurified attached to our furncace. One thing to remember is to make sure the filter in your furnace is changed on a regular basis. I dust one a week, when I do any dusting then I put on a surgcial mask so I am not breathing in the dust. I hate this job because I have so many knick nacks. Howerver it's only once a week that I dust. I just a swiffer cloth that the dust sticks to rather then just push the dust around. Hope this helps. I think an air purifier is important especially in the bedroom and the room to where you like to watch t.v., ready, rest. Hope this helps Pam. This I don't know 100% for sure but when you mentioned going to get some plants, maybe you might want to consider an alo vera real pland and English Ivy. What I read is that these plants put oxygen into the air. I just threw out a couple of fake plants because of the dust that had built up on them. Take care and hope some of the suggestions you get here help you.

Ellen

• Posted

If you can afford it, hire a good & reputable cleaning company, an environmentally conscious firm, for a massive top-to-bottom clean, then leave the house while they clean. If the weather is decent ask them to leave all windows open when they're done.

My biggest problem is that my house is carpeted and has been for 25 years. Central heat & air & those ducts have probably never been cleaned. Can't afford to fix these issues.

Many folks get rid of all their dust catchers, AKA knick knacks, or else put them into glass-fronted shelving.

• Posted

I used to work for a vacuum company that sold hepa filter vacuums I still recommend to wear a mask when vacuuming and for at least half an hour after till the fine partials settle. Yep got me some cheap plants I will add yo my collection every time I go to the grocery store.  I have taken half my nick nacks to the dump the rest are in the basement ready to go.  I would love to have a cleaning lady but too much money.  Also it's good for me to run up and down the stairs finding things to do.  Thanks for the tips.

• Posted

About those plants: the dirt of course is a living thing. For the sake of my sinuses I long ago covered the dirt with glass "rocks" (leftover from a friend's wedding table decorations). Because you're pouring water over them, they never need dusting!

• Posted

I bought a Kirby a few years ago. I am amazed at how great it picks up and retains the dirt/dust in the bag. Living with two dogs, in an all carpeted house on the lakes just brings in every type of pollutant there is. I have to change bags every 2 - 3 vacuums. Expenses, but worth it.
  • Posted

I got pretty small when I was first diagnosed, but it has paid off. I've changed over to non-aresol products for everything - hair spray, deodorant, cleaning products, etc. We bought a dehumidifier and have been amazed at how much water was in the air (and we live in TX!)

• Posted

Well howdy neighbor, I'm from & back living in Texas. If you lived on the coast where I grew up, the humidity is never below 90%.

• Posted

Well I took some advice called and I am getting my ducts cleaned and a free furnace filter.  He wanted over 300.00 but I mad that, wow really that much disappointed tone and got him to do it for 200.00.  He even said he would clean my furnace coils.
    • Posted

Thats a great start1!!! Had ours done last year and will be doing it again in 3 more months. I normally am a clean freak. Since my copd diagnosis, I find I am doing more to keep my home clean and as dust free as possible. It actually has been good becuase I am getting more excersize. I have just recently been diagnosed. My next step is to join a copd rehab clinic that is located in own town here. The repiroligist tech is coming to-morrow just to check on my oxygen levels. He had suggested it so now I will ask him if I need to be referred to them. Will find out to-morrow. In the meantime I go for a walk around my large backyard to get excersize. Thatis when I use a small oxygen cylinder that I simply put in a backpack. It really helps. I also do the pursed lip breathing that brings up my oxygen levels. My levels are good when sitting 95 average but do fall quickley on excertion. Wishing you the very best,

​Ellen

• Posted

I hear what your saying about becoming a clean freak, I see dirt and dust everywhere now.  You must have a really great yard walking is one of my fav orate pastimes.  Not so much in the winter.  I was floored when the dr said to excercise I am five foot five and weigh 110 ten pounds at th most.  With cardio now I have to add oil, juice, honey and what other healthy calories I can think of.  I do the pursed lip breathing at night when I have my caster oil pack on in bed with my heading pad.  
    • Posted

A caster oil pack is, get a old flannel shirt any flannel will do cut in the shape of you heating pad, I have a small microwave one that covers both breast areas.  Buy caster oil at the Health food store get a good sized bottle.  Take a piece of flannel and fould it get it good and covered in the oil.  Hester the saturated flannel I use the microwave about 25 seconds.  Place this over your chest were you need it most,  then cover with a piece of plastic then put your heating pad on top, then a towel.  I keep heating up just the heating pad  when needed,  lie down relax do your breathing excercise if you like.  If you don't get what I am saying you can watch them make one on YouTube.  It's good for liver or whatever.

• Posted

I just can't wrap my head around this not being poisonous. I grew up with a bunch of castor bean plants, planted by my father over my mother's "NOT AROUND SMALL CHILDREN WHO WILL PUT ANYTHING IN THEIR MOUTHS" objections. We were well trained from birth not to touch those plants.

So why do you do this? Has it got some proven benefit for COPD?

• Posted

What dilution did you use in the bath and on the windows.  My lungs won't even tolerate the vapours from neat vinegar.

Any way I use the micro clothes for dusting, they collect the dust rather than move it around.  I also have a cordless dyson that can be used for dusting ceilings as well as clear surfaces.  A damp cloth also an optional alternative.

Baking soda and lemon juice I believe are good natural cleaners too and of course you can buy eco range of cleaning products or shop brand equivalent.

Never use aerosols, plug in air freshers, perfumes, or perfumed soap or candles, candles have to be smokeless and unscented for my lungs otherwise I just start coughing, the alternative to a real flame candle, is the battery operated tea lights and the real wax flameless candles.

White vinegar in the UK is quite expensive and I probably using brown vinegar is not very suitable.

To wash clothes in the washing machine, I use either, soap nuts, eco balls or eco washing liquid,  there is a eco hand wash liquid too and also washing up liquid.

Epsom salts can be used in bath water or in washing machine to soften skin / water, epsom salts can be used for many things a good thing to have for use in the house and in the garden.

Plants help purify the air, but as mentioned soil has to be kepts an eye on to make sure it doesn't start growing anything other than the plant.  Those glass pebbles sound like a good idea, I guess the same would work using horticultural grit.

• Posted

Great tips white vinager is dirt chesp hear in Canada I use about  one half cup for the bathtub to soak large items hot water,  for my bucket of hot water that I walk around with to dust maybe a quarter of a cup to hot water. I also use baking soda to clean, lots of tips for baking soda.  You right about the pants, Mold and such.  I just got my ducts cleaned the other day, he showed me before and after pictures.  He also gave me a free filter.  I can't believe I have been breathing that in for so many years.

• Posted

Hi there! I was just thinking of dusting. I use a surgical mask when I am dusting. Tomorrow is my housecleaning day. I got this idea when I saw everybody where I get my nails done wearing masks and the py don't have COPD. I was surprised as well when my Doctor wanted me to start an excercise program. Being new to this I have a lot to learn. This forum has really helped me. I have been doing Laos in my large backyard with oxygen to I am to use only on excertion. It's to early to tell if it's helping BUT it makes me feel better. Been soooo cold here today and so windy. Typical Canadian weather. Maybe tomorrow. Take care and talk soon

Ellen

• Posted

Ellen, there's a reason the women in the nail place wear masks if you're in the States: those masks are required under OSHA or similar state laws for protection of workers' lungs against the dangerous fumes in most of the stuff they use. Very bad for healthy lungs and much worse for your less healthy lungs. Find yourself a place where all they do is shape & paint one's own nails as the products used are less - but only less - dangerous than the ones involved in every stage of fake nails. Many folks on here probably can't tolerate even regular polish & polish remover.

• Posted

Thanks Pam, for the dilutions of vinegar, I wish white vinegar was dirt cheap here in UK, I noticed its also very economical in the US to buy it in gallons.

Regarding covering the soil on indoor pot plants, I was at the aquatics shop today and bought some Aquarium Gravel, dust free, safe, non toxic, thought that would be a good option to the glass pepples, which could become a bit too hot if placed in a sunny window. I thought.

Changing the air inside each day is a good thing also I think, even during winter months, I generally leave a window open in each room for 20 mins or more, heating off coat on.  But it may be just too cold to do that in Cananda and parts of the US. 

• Posted

Yes Vee our vinegar is cheap.

What about making your own? I know how to make wine vinegar so there must be online recipes for the plain stuff. Hopefully it'scheaper than some of my $15 homegrown tomatoes ;p

• Posted

Wouldn't be able to tolerate the vapours / odour of the fermentation process aitarg. 

• Posted

Hadn't thought of that Vee, have only been around the wine vinegar hard in a vast kitchen in a huge house.

The real question is why vinegar is so expensive for you and so cheap for us?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.