Clicking noise in throat/head when talking - can be heard externally

Posted , 19 users are following.

For the past 4 months I've been getting a clicking/popping noise, like popping candy, somewhere in the region of my head and neck. The noise happens very day for a few mins and only happens when I talk or swallow. The weirdest thing is the sound it makes can be heard externally, it is not just a noise that is heard internally in my head/neck. I have been feeling really hot while this happens, and mostly for the rest of the day, especially on the face. I have checked my temperature but I don't have one.

When I went to the doctors 2 months ago, they discovered that a lymph node in neck neck (right hand side) was swollen slightly. It is still swollen and visibly throbs (like a pulse) but is painless.

I get headaches quite a bit and feel very tired, I did however have very low B12 levels at the end of last year so it could be that again (I had to have injections to boost it).

So, not sure if it is all connected but my main concern is the weird noise in my head/neck. I have been referred for an urgent MRI scan. I would really appreciate if anyone has any ideas of what this could be - thank you.

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I'm not sure about all the other things you mentioned, but my jaw makes a clicking/popping noise every time I open my mouth as well. It's called TMJ, and its due to the part where my jaw connects to my skull (right below my ears) is misaligned or something. Do you think the noise is your jaw popping?

• Posted

Thank you for the response! I'm going to do a bit of research on TMJ. I don't think it is coming from my jaw, I can't feel the click/popping noise either. It's really difficult to find out where it is coming from

• Edited

i have TMJ which is very noisy in the jaw area. i also have severe cervical(neck) issues too numerous to list here. However, its good that you have an MRI soon. Thats one of the best diagnostic tools for the symptoms you gave been having. Believe me, I have had multiple MRI/MRA on various body parts and they are very informative.

PLEASE let us know your results and good luck!

Susanne, 54 Nashville, Tennessee

• Edited

Thank you for your response! Can I ask if others can hear the noise in your jaw? As when I talk, the noise of popping/clicking can be heard by others. I will let you know what the MRI comes back with. I appreciate your help 😃

Emily

• Posted

yes sometimes the jaw clicks CAN be heard externally/by other people. i also have popping sensations/noises that feel/sound like they are coming from my ears. it can be either/or or both ears simultaneously. then the pain is always an afterthought because its always present.

i am 54 and was diagnosed with TMJ at age 22. via a dentist who specialized in TMJ and other conditions of the jaw. he fitted me with a jaw splint/appliance to initially wear 24/7(except when eating).the headaches and other symptoms went away almost immediately!

• Edited

Hi,

How was your MRI result? I am hearing the clicking sound from my neck or head too. My jaw doesn't hurt, so not sure it's TMJ.

• Posted

I am experiencing the same thing too, typically when I talk (when i finish saying a word). please tell me if you have any updates.

• Edited

I have been hearing this clicking/popping noise sometimes during, mainly after saying a sentence/word.

This only started happening a few months ago and can be heard externally. (My partner can also hear it).

I would really like to find out what it is as can be wuick distracting. Did you ever find out what the cause was for yours?

• Posted

hi, neatalee.

i think you have the same problem i have.

you described exactly what i heard when i say some words. Did you found the solution for this? you can keep me in touch to solve it, i am a voice actor so i need to fix that or it will compromise my occupation.

• Posted

I find that there's no popping sound if I say something starting with "n", like "no". But there is a sound almost every time after saying "go", after "releasing the air".

I had this problem the day after a lengthy dentist's visit. But I really don't think the problem is coming from my jaw.

• Posted

Did one of you find a solution ? I have the exact same thing here 😕

thanks for your answer

• Edited

hello,

were you able to solve this issue? if so, how?

• Edited

Since most people forget to post what helped them after they've got rid of it, I'm gonna post what my doctor told me yesterday, and what already seems to be helping. For me I kept hearing a clicking noise in/behind my left ear whenever I was talking or would put pressure on my head. With talking it would be about 3-4 loud, externally hearable clicks per sentence, which is obviously extremely annoying. I went to the doctor yesterday and after looking in my ear he instantly saw whats called a "slime ear". Basically from some sort of inflammation in the Eustachian Tube there is slime stuck behind my eardrum which seems to contain air bubbles that keep popping and forming whenever the pressure changes. He prescribed me with Xylometazoline Nasal Spray, to stop the inflammation and allow the slime to leave through the Eustachian Tube. This already seems to be helping 1 day in.

I still recommend everyone to just check with your own doctor, but the Nasal Spray I'm using can be bought at most pharmacy's, so if you suffer the same symptoms and are looking for a potential solution, this might be it.

Also, apparantly the average time for a slime ear to fully go back to normal is about 3 months.

• Edited

So glad i found someone else dealing with the same thing!? I initially thought the popping sound was from the earphones I always have on, then I came to realise it was me. Then I began to think it wasn't audible for anyone but me, but i recorded myself saying the word 'that' and after saying it the popping would sound itself rather loudly. I doubt I'll go to the doctors for this, but... idk what it means??

• Edited

Hi!

Sounds like the same as me! Whenever I talk, especially words with T's or K's, something in the side of my head pops very loudly, every time. I've been dealing with it for multiple months now. Are you still suffering from it, or have you found a way to get rid of it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.