Climbing up and down Stairs....

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi,I'm 13 weeks post LTKR and doing pretty well,still finding up and down stairs quite a challenge.I'm making myself go up and down foot over foot rather than landing both feet on each step,going up is pretty okay but coming down is really quite sore when stepping the operated leg down.Just wondering how other folk are managing with stairs,I live in a bungalow so only use stairs away from home which of course may be a factor.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm still struggling at 10 weeks post operation today 1 foot in front of the other on the stairs I can do it throwing up God knows what I look like from behind ha ha but coming down I just do about four steps 1 foot in front of the other and still a bit nervous to be honest

• Posted

Hi Tuar

im 9 + months on from bilateral tkr's. I walked up and down stairs one at a time for so long before the operation, im having to push myself to do it normally.  Going up I can do quite well but if I'm carrying groceries, I still do one at the time.   Down hill is still a challenge.  My feet just don't want to do it.  When I do concentrate and walk normally, they still hurt a bit.  It's almost like having to start again.  I live up 14 steps so have to do them quite often.  

I hope you you get better quicker than me.  Much better off than before the operation so can't really complain but yet, here I am lol.

best wishes 

Sue xx

• Posted

Hi Tuar, you sound like you are doing well, I am assuming stairs can be the most challenging.  I'm only 3 weeks post TKR tomorrow, but like sue64229 I haven't been up and down stairs normally for years, so am expecting it to be very difficult and scary. Good luck and don't worry

• Posted

Hi Tuar Ceatha, I'm 19 weeks and still find coming down stairs hard at times especially when my knee is tired and stiff and then revert to one at a time . I too still find walking downhill a challenge

Everyone is different and we heal at different rates. Take it easy and you will get there. Take care x

• Posted

Hi from Penang. Stairs are a challenge for me too! I just do what I can. Some days I can manage one after the other, then I revert to one then one! There's no magic formula and I am better than I was before the bilaterals on Mar 21 so miracles might occur a little longer along the journey. Manage your expectations and try to achieve a little more each day! All the best. Lyn

• Posted

Hi 

I am 15 weeks post tkr and dont attempt going downstairs normally yet. The hospital physio told me to hold off until 3-6 months in. She said that the strain it puts on the new knee when walking down foot by foot is 3 times your body weight. So i go up normally no problem but just try one step down every now and then and as it hurts i  am waiting a bit longer

I still have pain and stiffness behind the knee. I find that riding my bike is easier than walking. I did try exercises in the pool but found that i was always doing too much because it is deceptive and then i would have to rest for a couple of days. I am still taking paracetamol regularly. I did stop altogether but found that my knee told me to take them again and so i listened to it!

• Posted

I'm only 4'8" tall so I've always had to step onto the stair then place my other foot on the same stair little kid style. My poor therapist tries to get me to walk up the stairs as must people do, but I'm just too darn shots!! Stairs are not my problem 14 weeks post TKR, it's the swelling and stiffness that drives me crazy! Upon waking in the mornings I can barely walk until the knee loosens up. Once I get going it's great. I also have problems driving. When I go to exit the car, my leg doesn't want to move. I can drive fine but bending the knee to exit the car, and then walking away takes me forever.

• Posted

Don't push it. When your body tells you to start normal use age it will let you know. In the meantime you are just wearing yourself out for nothing

• Posted

TUar Ceatha,  I am 5 months TKR and have issues with down the steps, after I am tired.  Early In The mornings is not an issue.  When I become tired and it hurts to come down the steps foot over foot.....I just turn around and come down backwards.  You have to really take your time and be careful.  Down foot over foot was the last thing I could accomplish.....your muscles have to heal first.  Can not rush it...it will come with time and healing.

pam

• Posted

hi Tuar Ceatha

I'm 20 weeks post TKR , still bending only at 101, walking well back at work.

going down the stairs is my biggest problem , my Physio says that's because I don't have enough bending apparently to manage stairs we need at least 120sad

Take care

• Posted

hi.. I'm 8 weeks tkr and steps are pretty good for me but I'm still lifting my leg to get out of the car. I know I need more work with my quad muscle. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my progress. As said before everyone is different in their recovery and what I find hard to do others might find quite easy. This is a long slow and many times painful recovery. Prayers with everyone that is along for this journey. I'm now in the process of planning my other knee for tkr... O God help me... Lol

• Posted

Need to build up the leg muscles, especially the quad, after PT gave you the flexion ( 0 / +120 ) back.  Gym or, better yet, therapy pool.  Recovery doesn't end with PT.  Gotta rebuild the leg muscles to support the new knee.  Squats, leg presses, leg curls, etc.  Check the exercise section of my big post...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Advice from my ACSM- and ACE-certified personal trainer and graduate nutritionist daughter.  Been doing it for the past 16 years.

• Posted

Tuar, you are doing great! I had TKRs in both knees on the same day and about two weeks out the PT had me out there tackling the stairs. I was terrified (and so thankful that there was an elevator). But then I watched a video of a lady hoping down the steps after surgery (trust me, she was either just an actress or months down the road after surgery), and I was determined to move up and down the steps the way a healthy person would. So as painful and as difficult as it was, I forced myself every day to walk down and then up about a dozen stairs until I got the bend right (I'm currently staying in a 2 storey house and have no other option than to take the stairs. I'm also 22 months post op, so trust me when I say it doesn't come easily, but it will come. I'm sure there are days when you don't need to go out, but I would say hit them daily as part of your exercise. You'll get it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.