CM Decompression 1 week ago with severe sacral pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a 29 year old female. Last week I had a Chiari decompression surgery. I actually never had any headaches. I had surgery due to a pretty extensive syrinx from the top of my c-spine down through the t-spine. It was discovered because my hands and then arms started going numb, and I developed burning neck pain down my into my arm with exercise and sharp movements.

From a Chiari standpoint, I'm doing great. Not to brag, because I know a lot of people who have the surgery have ongoing pain and problems postoperatively, but my head and neck pain are minimal just one week after surgery. My problem is I started having sacral pain in the hospital that's just gotten progressively worse. It started in the sacral area and then wrapped around to the vaginal area. Now I can hardly sit, stand, or walk around without constant pain. Initially the doctor thought it was just positional from having to sit and lay propped up. After the pain got worse, they think that blood products from the surgery have drifted down the spinal canal and settled in the lumbosacral area and is irritating the nerves causing sciatica like pain. They prescribed some steroids and said it should get better with some time. My question is has anyone experienced anything like this or heard of anyone experiencing these kinds of symptoms? The pain meds and muscle relaxers they gave me barely do anything to lessen the pain.. Just looking for some hope that I’ll get better soon.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.