CMC Arthoplasty

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm having the surgery on my right hand day after tomorrow-2/13- and i'm not real happy about not having use of my right hand but that's really neither here nor there. what i really want to know is how long the surgery itself takes. also, i have arthritis in my right shoulder at the base of my neck and i'm kind of concerned about the numbing shot. has anyone had this problem

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

. i just had this done Feb, 4th, hard to type. i had a nerve block for pain. not much pain now, Doc said surgery took 2 hours,

• Posted

I am having left thumb CMC arthroplasty tomorrow. I am right handed, but the left is my worst one (they are both bad). I'm a retired PACU nurse so I am not usually nervous about surgery, but this one is one I am having a little bit of nerves with. I do feel better after reading some of the posts here. I have tried preparing as many things in advance as possible I got my hair permed so I don't have to worry about scaring anyone. I have cooked up a storm and am freezing it in small portions. I have a waterproof cover for casts so I will be able to shower without getting the splint wet.

Any words of wisdom are very much appreciated.

• Posted

Hi I had total knees done in april and sept. this surgery done feb 4th, HARDEST things are typing and eating, surgery was not bad and only took pain pills 3-4 days,

little worried about sharing but want me to send my # do you can call? hard to type

• Posted

Thanks for asking. My surgery went well,only took an hour (was scheduled 1.5 hrs). I had an axillary block that lasted until about 8 pm that evening.

I still need pain medicine (have cut my pills in half). It's been only 3 days though.

• Posted

hi Christine,

The numbing shot was no problem. I'm glad I had the Left CMC arthroplasty. I am right handed and still have the right hand to do. I am putting it off as long as possible. It has been 7 months now and my left is doing very well. It is not nearly as strong as my right. I only have occasional pain. It is stiff in the morning a lot if times, but that doesn't last long after I get up.

I hope you are doing well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.