Codeine addiction

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been on cocodomol for almost a year, this is my first day off them and glad I told my doctor about the problem so won't be able to ask for them ever again. Weaned off them for 2 weeks there, and so glad I did the weaning off thing, wasn't easy but getting there.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Thats what i did! I was worried at first but glad once i told her it would be hard to get ever again unless i have a serious accident or operation! Hope your feeling ok? 

Nathan....

• Posted

Thanks Nathan second day now I'm so glad I've finally got off them, had trouble sleeping last night thought did u have trouble sleeping?

• Posted

I personally didn't have any withdrawal as i went on Suboxone which blocks any withdrawal! I'm in the Military so i couldn't be sick or restless as my job is demanding! How are you finding it? 

• Posted

Have you thought about what you will use if you have severe pain again. I suffer with chronic pain and cocodamol is the only one I have had which does not have side effects. I take 2 tablets twice per day and the only times I have more than that is when I am in hospital having a procedure. I have been on them 10 years and never been tempted to have extra, or become addicted.

• Posted

Right now I don't have any pain, but if I do I'll cross that bridge in the future, but I certainly won't be touching codeine, there's always paracetamol or something, as long as there is never codeine

• Posted

I was in hospital twice e last year and they would not give me codeine so I had to have a much stronger painkiller as paracetamol on its own does not work for me and I am not allowed to take ibuprofen because of syomach problems. I can't remember the name of it but it had side effects for me that codeine has never had

• Posted

Thats the problem! Once you are recorded by the doctor, getting painkillers for real injuries or pain is difficult and paracetamol just doesn't cut it. Thats the main problem, but my doctor has told me if i need them for severe pain she will prescribe them, but for monitored short term use only...

• Posted

I can see the doctors point but what are you supposed to do when you have severe chronic pain,  have to take pain killers regularly, paracetamol on its own does not work, cannot take nurofen because of stomach problems, and do not want to take morphine or derivatives because it makes you feel sleepy all the time. Maybe your doctor does not believe people have chronic severe pain?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.