Codeine addiction help !

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone , I am ashamed to say but i was addicted to taking codeine the last time I took any was Monday morning am and not had any since I know I need to come off these tablets now been through the worst of withdrawals now which have been hell but now am suffering with crippling anxiety I went cold turkey as I felt it was taking too long to be tapered off by doctors I am also 26 weeks pregnant and my midwife said it was fine to stop taking them , am just wondering when I will start to feel better ? Feel total despair and I need help or a bit of guidance ? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gema how are you feeling now? It takes about 7 days for the worst off the symptoms to start to ease but the sleeplessness and restless legs and Anxiety will take a little longer! I see you're pregnant too! wow thats alot on your plate atm, Valium was given to me to help with the sleep and anxiety which helped a lot but they are for short term use only so It will help to speak with the Gp. There is also a drug called Suboxone which stops all withdrawals and cravings instantly so that's another thing to consider so again talk with a GP and ask about these options. I hope you are starting to feel better and pls msg me anytime you want ill talk with you...

Nathan....

• Posted

Hi Nathan , thanks so much for getting back to me well am now on day 7 and starting to feel a bit better got a running nose and still getting chills but they are mostly subsiding now it's just this anxiety and not sleeping it's making me feel like am loosing my mind and harder because am pregnant and need to get myself back to normal they have put me on sertaline to balance my mood , yes I so wish I could have got vallium sad just to get over the worst of the withdrawals as some days feeling it hard to get out my bed but am hoping it gets easier now it's mostly just the emotional side coming out now and craving the drug will not go near it but struggling everyday and wondering when will I get better , have u been through withdrawal before then ? 

• Posted

Hey Gema that's Awesome you're on track for sure to get passed it! Any yes day seven is definitely passed the hardest part so you are just at the mountaintop ready for the other side! As you said it's all mental from now on so be strong ok? You don't want a Army instructor getting on your back thats, an order lol.I I wondering about you the other day for some reason, when i was drilling Recruits, so being at your best so be good for you and the bubs!

I hope you have a strong man by your side, as you need him to be a strong for you! I'm a PT instructor in the Army so strength and teamwork are my strongest part. Sleep is the worst part for sure try not sleep during Mother napping time lol as it will be harder later. As i said i'm here for you but often away so i can't alway respond fast!

Talk soon

Nathan.... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.