Codeine withdrawal

Posted , 2 users are following.

My Blog on how i quit Codeine

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm not sure anyone will be reading this but I writing it mainly for myself as a record of what I have just been through.

About 4 years ago a managed to quit alcohol after many attempts to get rid of it from my life.

One foolish day I went to the chemist and purchased some solpedine. This has 11mg of Codeine per disolvable tablet.

Pretty soon I was taking a whole pack of 36 every day.

I went to talk to my GP and he gave me a prescription for Codeine to stop me ingesting the paracetamol that comes with the solpedine.

For about three years then I was totally hooked on Codeine and regularly took about 25 30mg tabs per day - far too much and purely just to feel normal.

Then - I was introduced to gabapentin.

• Posted

Always reading these things. Love for your journey 
    • Posted

Thanks very much.

I'm currently on week three codeine free. It sure is a difficult thing to get off of.

I have found that having an amazing Doctor has helped me no end.

I asked to try Gabapentin to stop the withdrawal symptoms and have managed it pretty well.

Obviously now I need to get off of the Gabapentin but the good thing with these is that there seems to be no physical addiction issue so three weeks in I can see a brighter future.

I sympathise massively with anyone that gets hooked on Codeine for whatever reason.

I just hope I can stay off them as the temptation will always be there now.

Thanks for your message.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.