Codeine Withdrawal Diary

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey

So I am a codeine addict. I have been addicted to codeine for around 3 years. Have managed to come off the drug for short spells here and there, longest being 3 months after a horrible withdrawal process. I tend to only come off the drug for a maximum of one month then end up craving and back addicted. I have decided enough is enough and need to come off.

No one at all knows of my addiction. I have a family with a young child who is my main reason for doing it. I would rather not tell my family about my addiction really due to embarrassment and failure.

Currently I have been taking codeine for around 6 months - usually 240mg per day however now seem to be taking around 300mg.

I have decided to keep a withdrawal diary which I will post to here daily for my own record and maybe even help others. I will be following a cold turkey withdrawal as using the tapered effect doesn't work for me. I find if I have codeine in the house I will take it and more than intended so need to get rid off all tablets to begin. Currently today I have had 300mg - last dose at 5pm. I normally have 60mg first thing in the morning so tomorrow morning shall be a challenge. I feel I am ready for this mentally.

Anyway of you got this far, thanks for reading.

LEE

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi Lee, I recognise your user name from other posts. im sorry to hear you are still in the grips of this awful drug. Id like to say i am free however i have simply switched to other drugs - i nearly died in december because i had a stomach ukcer which burst and that perforated my stomach. the ulcer was caused my using nufofen plus. i had to have emergancy surgery to repair and it was a huge operation so am now on morphine. so really ive swapped one addiction for another but luckily the doc will wean me off slowly plus its slow release meaning i dont feel 'high' so cravings will be minimal. i was so poorly, if id left it another day before going to hospital i would have died.

have you bought anything to help with the symptoms like laporomide? is there ANYONE you cant talk to about this?

• Posted

oh my goodness I'm sorry to hear this but also glad you you got the surgery when you did. Yeah i have been battling this for a while just need to have more will power. I think because codeine is so readily available to me it is harder. I think if I keep a blog/diary it will maybe get me through it. I know i do not have an easy road ahead of me which does make me anxious but I suppose I will get there. No one knows about it and i did think about speaking to me partner about it but I will see how things go. Don't want them worry.

• Posted

just thinking when you cant see the effects and the addictions there bit tricky, seeing one foot swollen, big old bruises on legs or flashes of dots toxic reaction,

all have been shock things to think nothing but stay away, there is normally a reason for hiding in medication drink or illegal drugs,

so if your bouncing back on may be its not your fault may be you automatically doing it covering up , comfort type of addiction, probably to start with, so you might have to delve more into it then just an addiction,

best tell the doctor, they will be happy to help you, they wont take your kid .

its grown up and shows you want to be responsible, playing a gambling game when kids are involved, if somthing happens to the child you will not forgive your self,

like i say doctor wont ,no one will take your kid, but you need to get some help put in place if not for you for your kid,

it doesnt mean your a bad person or pairent, shows your a good one if you grab some help rather then a accedent and somone gets hert, bit doom and gloomy but KIDS OR KID involved then you got to snap out of it or ask for some professional help. tricky single on own and addiction is a diffrent ball game.

• Posted

You're the only one that knows your ready to quit. I confided in my wife after numerous withdrawals as I couldn't keep up the lie that I was sick for a few weeks every now and then. I ended up clean but relapsed a few times and switched to lyrica which led me down a spiral of suicidal thoughts. I ended up going to er to confess both the dark thoughts and the battle with addiction. They send me to a mental health clinic as a seld admitted patient with more freedoms then people in there forcefully. I can't see its easy being clean as I crave that feeling but here in Australia it's a lot harder to get and if I request Dr script it shows my history of addiction. You're a strong person for wanting to succeed and only you can fail each attempt. Believe in yourself as when we're high we feel we're the best version of ourselves but the best version of you is clean with no secrets or hiding tabs all over the place.

• Posted

i had been on codine phosphate had operation gave a bottle of morphine,gabapentin,codie phosphate,co-codamol Amatriptyline nerve pain , in medical notes gabapentin 2-3 days now i truly not sure but i think, toxic reaction went on so reactions to all three, gave up the morphine .so truly it makes my skin rash,

tricky stuck in pain still so that take the addiction side of it out,

a mental game you will have going on, 4 medications i been bashed about on,

if p****d of remember its the codeine opioids focus on things 24/7 plan of action for the next day is good plan, spare time is no good for addictions, been bashed about like a goodn and still here so one cant be doing things two bad get board just babble on her better then building up into feeling upset better out then in.

• Posted

hi lee, iv tried many times with this and unfortunatly gone back to it . exuse the typing and errors its all over the shop lol . anyway , i think sometimes it helps just knowing that other ppl know exactly how it feels. iv been an addict for about 12 years . i dont touch anything else

only codeine and occasional alcohol . i hope you can find youre inner strength i really do and you can do this lee !!!! x

• Posted

3 lee ree and angie , nice group was just about to say perfect little help group but, it does work like that,

i kicked illegal drugs and drink so,

sat there with mother bless her cotton sock looking like she wanted to strangle me and me doctor doctor said cut circle of friends ice any you know and new life, now rock bottom territory and sent my self back of to a disabled college so, A+ in giving up drugs like i say bashed about by 3 reactions kicked the morphine, from my operations. so doing somthing right somwhere along the line as not addicted and dont do illegal drugs or drink. now obvioisly tbe thought goes through the old brain cell, but focus on things you like tell people like your mothers and farther explane its tough as they wont have a clue get them to go with you with the doctor say oy might fail a few time but hay ho least i am trying it doesnt sound like you three have involved any family as embarissed more the merrier, IT might be why i can do the giving up part as ADHD I HAVE a past as tick every box to the max, so the problem if one of you fails o dear not to worry type of thing,nothing wrong with that as freindly ish but should you be told o well not to worry , see cut my self away from people who could say o well, so if you havnt your doctor or theropist involved which you will need as they are not addicted you need to branch out and grab into the none addicted zone, scare then to bits me as blast my past into them have some of that like it or lump it like me or not thats me type of thing,

no angle but truly been excepted for me by loads of none drug taking or drinking people not to sure about the drinking part, so if you have read through that, i do have ADHD AND bounce when i talk and walk and with ideas but the best idea is a plan of action 24/7 plan week plan there are colleges send your self to, if you tick the addicted box it opens up asses to colleges, new starts, reaction to tramadol last week monday moopy text mother said kicking OPIOD mother as reactions as rabbled away and then while i was rabbling said arrrr i know why i am depressed 1/2 day dropping tramadol, with in hours i was bouncing out of depressed as said to mother opioids and never thought once on it was the TRAMADOL TILL I OPENED MY MOUTH see better speak out then not its easy in texts never reply my pairent to me texts but there tip tap away to them so it can be done kicking these medications you just need the proper directions and roads to head down, work out why your doing them, reality, up set, under lieing mental health issue you dont know about , see lots could be adding to the issue on why you cant give theses medications up, so have a think why you jumping back on them, I HAVE A packet of tramadol and all sorts but content with me ache but i dont feel tempted, love your selves thats a good one as well work on loving your self, stop being nasty to your selves and your bodys,

• Posted

dislexic so one is sorry about the spelling ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Posted

thanks Lee, its been a long road to recovery and im a way off yet (its looking like further surgery to repair a hernia thats broken through close to my scar). it was such a shock to realise that my own actions had very nearly killed me. as functioning addicts we float through addiction feeling like the worst bits about it are the money we spend on it and how bad WDs feel but the threat of death is so very real. i was very lucky in that my family and partner were already aware of my addiction issues so there were no real surprises on that front.

i really would suggest that you tell your partner and let her/him support and help you through this. its far too easy to relapse if you havent got someone keeping their eye on you. You know whats ahead, let someone shoulder some of the emotional burden for you.

How are you feeling today?

• Posted

๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ smile at the world and the world will smile back .see LEE , ree ree can have a shout at me for an anger release ๐Ÿ˜ƒ bless wish all best ree ree onwards

• Posted

Thanks for you comments and support. I am now 24 hours since last codeine dose. I feel generally okay so far. Felt a little more tired than normal today but overall okay. I suspect the withdrawals will really start tomorrow. Donโ€™t feel any cravings as yet but again I think itโ€™s to early.

Will drop in again tomorrow.

Lee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.