Codiene for relief of prolapsed bowel pain and symptoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have recently been prescribed a course of dihydrocodeine for severe bowel pain and symptoms suffered with a prolapsed bowel that I have had major surgery for that was largely unsuccessful.  I understand medical professionals are very reluctant to prescribe codeine under any circumstances but can only report that all my pain, which was considerable, has gone as have my symptoms, and you have no idea, unless you have a painful prolapsed bowel ongiong for four and a half years with no relief, how over the moon I am for the subsequent relief.  I am assuming that where codeine shut off part of the brain, presumably that part that causes the symptoms to erupt, and basically stops them in their tracks.  i am obviously being careful, and only taking half the prescribed daily dose and then not every day, just as and when needed, but you have no idea how frustrating and trialsome these symptoms were with me and how grateful I am to the doctor for letting me have some on the advice of the Pain Management Consultant I saw recently, there may be side effects, but that's the lesser of two evils of soul destroying pain, gallons of mucus, blood, and random poos I used to suffer, I don't know if anyone as desparate as me may feel its worth asking about, but nothing I have tried has worked like this, finally, light at the end of the tunnel for me after a long loathsome road.  Fiona

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

PS  In order to keep the dreadful gallons of wall to wall mucus I suffer at bay, I am also trying several foodstuffs, pumpkin cereal bars, honey, chamomile and honey tea, pineapple juice and various things with ginger in, this helps slightly but I did need the codeine to break the back of it
    • Posted

I just hope the lack of response isn't because of people taking the moral high ground over my mentioning codeine as a viable cure as it does work for me and it would be such a shame if others ignored it
    • Posted

through ill founded fears maybe?
    • Posted

Using codeine daily, has cut my toilet roll bill in half - IN HALF!!  I cannot believe what a relief that is 
    • Posted

I have had a chance to evaluate this and I can only assume that my post about codeine is being ignored because it is not a health food remedy, so a couple of things to put the record straight, I did try aloe vera, it gave me diarrhoea, and was not effective, the other end of the scale, coconut oil made me dreadfully painfully constipated, and to my credit, I am trying ginger, chamomile, honey, pineapple juice and pumpkin seeds to aleviate the slime situation but at the end of the day I simply had to have something strong and effective for the pain and also found to my delight that my symptoms vanished, you are talking to someone who spends the best part of the day, straining on the loo, getting random stuck poos, virtually moulded to my colon, and irritating the hell out of me and in need of evacuation 16 to 22 times a day, so I just want to set the record straight, i would not be using codeine if I were not desperate, the situation is now that I have gone 28 hours without needing the loo at all, so as I say, hopefully people are not taking the moral high ground over this, as if herbal remedies work for you then all well and good, but if like me you need strong drugs, then that is the only option after four and a half miserable years of trying every diet under the sun and every health remedy, nuff said?
  • Posted

Hello Fiona , I have just read your post, having  been Newley diognoosed  I offer my deepest sympathy , I have had eruptions randomly over the last two years , had the stig and now it's every day  I think I am going to have to give up work as I am just running to the local public  loos and I know I am not going to make it one day , I just can't go at work as the loos are like school laves. Any way I am not at your stage but feel it's getting worse and if I find something that will help . I will be taking it so I don't blame you for trying to get some relief 

don't worry that people do not answere you have to do what you feel is right 

take care 

june

• Posted

June, thanks so much for your encouragement, I really appreciate it and genuinely hope things get better for you, I have had my second day with the codeine and found that my symptoms are still greatly improved and for once I am pain free, it is marvellous, thanks once again and all the very best to you, Fiona

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.