Coeliac Disease and Eyelid problems

Posted , 14 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease at the start of last December, after being ill for a good few months. I have now been on a gluten free diet since then and my symptoms have dramatically improved. Since being on a GF diet i have seemed to develop problems with my eyelids, which are getting progressively worse (eyelid problems were never an original symptom of my coeliacs). I started to get swollen, red and wrinkly eyes whenever i was run down with a cold or when i was feeling a bit under the weather and then my eyelids would go back to normal when i would be feeling better. However, for the past few weeks, they have become swollen every morning when i wake up, sore, itchy, red, dry, flaky, scaly and really wrinkly. My eyes also sometimes feel dry and in the mornings they are really sore. Whenever i cry, my eyes sting, although my eyes seem to be watering a lot lately. I have spoke to my GP who says it is eczema and has given me 4 different creams to try, as well as some home remedies - none of which have worked, or even improved, my eyelids. I don't believe it is eczema personally and if it was, surely i would've had it before my diagnosis and surely it would've improved since being on a GF diet? It is making me feel so self conscious and my eyes look so much older than they actually are, I am only 18!

Any help would be appreciated! Thankyou!

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I'm new to this I've had swollen itchy tearing wrinkly eyes for a solid week. It's gotten to the point I can't focus or sleep I've seen an ophthalmologist twice and been using steroid drops and allergy meds as well as drops for itching. I went to another doctor today and she's running tests for Lyme disease. There is a symptom of Lyme if the eyes in many cases like min and I had a tick on my two weeks ago. She gave me drops for itching as well as a very heavy antibiotic. I'm going to see if these symptoms go away in a week if not should I talk to a doctor about coeliac disease?

• Posted

I I have also had the same problem with my eyes, quite severe at the beginning with the swelling,  infection, red sore eyelids and flaky skin. At the same time had cold symptoms sore throat, cough, temperature, blocked nose and headache, got better after antibiotic eye drops and cold cleared for a few days. Sore throat and eye problem started again lost voice and all other cold symptoms came back a little worse, was given hydrocortsone cream for eyes all symptoms cleared for a couple of days then came back worse again. My last blood test showed my numbers still to high, can this have an affect on your immune system. Looking for all the advise I can get please.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.