Coffee. Please say it isn't so!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Well, here's my conundrum. I keep to a low sodium diet. Strict. Less than 1000mg day. I stopped drinking alcohol. I soooo miss pizza! Just had to put that out there. I mean REAL PIZZA. Not the fake low sodium pizza I've concocted. Ok... sorry, I got distracted by pizza lol. So I've given up all my vices, except coffee. I drink 2 regular sized coffee mugs, a day. I have tinnitus, & ear fullness on and off semi regularly. Occasionally I have "fuzzy brain" and dizziness. Question is, is coffee the culprit of my symptoms that are lingering? I mean COME ON, coffee is going to cause these?? Please, someone tell me I don't need to give up my last vice! This darn disease is so different for everyone, but any thoughts are appreciated. 😀??

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I personally could never give up coffee!! And it never has seemed to be a problem for me, thank God! I've had at least a cup every day for the past probably 10 years and until this past summer only had a few attacks a year. So it's just my opinion but I don't think you need to give it up if it keeps you sane wink

• Posted

I certainly haven't given up my coffee. If you are willing to live with the occasional problem (which we are not sure that coffee is the culprit), enjoy your coffee.

• Posted

LOL!!!  You guys are Too funny!  (First, Amy...I agree that giving up pizza should carry with it, a guarantee of Heavenly Eternity!)  And I sooo relate!  My ENT was so adamant about my quitting coffee, and I too, was outraged!  LOL!   But I drank about a pot a day.  So I gradually decreased, replacing just a part of the real stuff with decaf, little by little, every day: No withdrawal headache, but admittedly, no kick whatsoever from the decaf!   I confess that when I've fallen off the wagon and had a cup or two of the good stuff, that I've had symptoms.  , On the other hand, I've know heard many people say that a cup of the real thing each day doesn't make a bit of difference. 

So I guess, if you're miserable, it would be the one last thing to try eliminating (but do it gradually!!). If you're not miserable, then continue to love your single remaining vice! (Really?  That's it? LOL!).  

Take good care, and enjoy your java!

J-

• Posted

JMJ, I seriously was LOL, Heavenly ertinity indeed!!! I've tried the half caffeine, half decaf a few times, but never stuck with it. I'm admittedly addicted to caffeine, namely coffee. If thngs worsen, I'll definitely do a trial run and see if it improves any symptoms. That's the thing with this disease, it's all really heresay (no pun intended) 😉 What works, what doesn't work. I definitely have discovered stress is my biggest trigger. Funny, when I went on a cruise to Caribbean in April, all symptoms disappeared, and I ate normal, even had of all things, hot dogs! No symptoms. No stress on a cruise....hmmm, maybe I need to just become a professional cruiser lol!

• Posted

LOVE the idea of becoming a "professional cruiser"!!  Perhaps there's money to be made running "MD Cruises"....dedicated to providing MD'ers with a stress-free, understanding, cruise experience (med room stocked with plenty of Antivert, Clonazepam and Compazine suppositories, just in case! LOL!)  Sigh. I'd buy a ticket!  

Take good care,

J

• Posted

Hi, 

ok ok I have stopped having salt when I say that I mean I don't put it on my food and if cooking with it I use low salt instead I use more pepper. I still drink but not as much and wait for eat I still eat Pizza and drink coffee. I think the key for me is moderation. I only eat pizza every so often and coffee I don't drink everyday I have the odd cup 2-3 times a week. Do you know that these thinks are causing your attacks? 

• Posted

Not really. I know my Dr says low salt is the key to keeping symptoms down. I had a weekend back in June, I got pretty drunk on a Friday, Saturday, didn't do much, but we ordered pizza. Back in June, I was still new at this whole MD thing. I gave myself cheat days. That's when I had pizza. But I didn't really stop drinking alcohol back then. Well. Saturday night I had extreme tinnitus, then vertigo, then vomiting for 2 hours. Then when I woke up next morning, I was fine. That scared me straight. Since June, no pizza, no liquor, no salt. Less then 1000mg daily. And no attacks ***knock wood***. So I'm scared now to drink or eat pizza. However I truly don't know if that would happen again. I really overdid it that wknd in June. I have been thinking of trying a drink but with moderation. Not going nuts like in June lol.

• Posted

Hi Amy, I was told by the doctor to cut down on caffeine because it has a effect on the fullness in the ear. I drink decaf now and still have the fullness in the ear and the "fuzzy brain" as you describe.

• Posted

Thank you ! Good to know. Not good you still have fuzzy brain though 🙁 Hang in there!

• Posted

Ok Amy - I'm with you there,  I too miss Pizza and WINE.  Oh and Mexican food.  I keep a low sodium diet 1000mg, stopped drinking coffee altogether (I had tried decaf - so something for you to think about) and stopped chocolate and wine.  Well confession time, I have had a little wine but fuzzy brain came back.  I have tinnitus and ear fullness as well.  I think the weather changing impacts me and when it does I am out of it for two days and then another week just trying to get back to something normal if there is such a thing.  My suggestion is to try decaf.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Amy,

Everyone if different, so you need to find what works for you and what triggers your attacks. There is no point in giving everything up you will be even more miserable and living with MD is bad enough!!!! Have what you like, but in moderation. I was told to keep myself hydrated, I think this is the key. Think about it salt, alcohol and coffee dehyrate you if you over do it. So if your going to drink make sure you have plenty of water. 

Take care hope this helps rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you! I agree, I can't give up everything. I'm not going to let MD do that to me, or let it define me. I drink a gallon of water a day, (history of kidney stones, and I'm a urology nurse, so hydration is good for your urinary tract!) Anyway, I have become a boss in the kitchen, homemade yeast rolls, bread, cinnamon rolls, casseroles, all very yummy, and very little salt. It's truly amazing what salt is in when you have to start watching it. WOW! so, us sufferers if MD can look at it this way, watching our sodium is good for our health!!! My dr said "you are going to be healthier now due to MD" That's a good thing, and I'm staying as positive as possible 😀

• Posted

Hi Amy,

I have not really had to change my life style to much, so don;t think you have to. Sometimes pepole go overboard and I think this makes your symptoms worse. Just stick to your usual diet with the few changes discussed. I have also been reading up on vitamin B6 this is known to help with dizziness and vomiting. Perhaps you should look into that? 

Anyway take care keep in touch razz

• Posted

I 100% agree. Some people do go overboard. I really am thankful for this site, but I have to pick and choose though what I read. I see some comments, & I think, come on people live your life! I do understand some suffer worse, but I'm all about staying positive and living. Never giving in or up. Yes. I've heard B6 can help too. I've had hard time finding in stores. I'm in United States, are you? Several on here are not fro U.S. Our docs here treat MD differently. I asked my doc abt betahistine, a lot of people take it on here. He says it doesn't do anything and doesn't prescribe it or recommend it. He said "if I thought it would help you, you'd be taking it". I take water pill and I've added myself a daily Claritin. Thank you so much for your thoughts. We seem to think alike abt this. 😀

Stay well, keep in touch!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.