Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with depression 3 months ago.  At the time, my GP put me on Fluoxetine 20mg which I am continuing to take.  At my recent review appointment, she suggested that I consider CBT, as an additional measure to the medications.  She originally suggested this when I first saw her 3 months ago but I wouldn't even consider it at that time as I had found it difficult enough to open up to my doctor about how I was feeling.  I still have some reluctance about tallking to a therapist who, unlike my doctor, would be a complete stranger, although I am now a little more open to the idea.  My local NHS are offering an on-line service which involves one-to-one CBT over the internet using written conversations.  This has some appeal as I would be able to do it from home, as opposed to having to travel to a local centre (at the moment, I suffer anxiety at the thought of going out, attending appointments, etc).  I wondered whether anyone has any experience of this type of on-line service and, if so, I would really appreciate receiving your comments.  Also, I would be grateful to read anyone's comments or opinions on the subject of CBT in general.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, my partner is currently going through cbt, he like you didn't feel comfortable opening up to a stranger but to be fair he has stuck with it and even after 2 sessions his mood seems to be improving and he is able to cope with the little things in life like going for a meal without getting anxious. Don't get me wrong his depression is still severe but he says he won't be able to deal with that until he can live day to day without being anxious about every little thing. Up to now he has been possitive about cbt but he is seeing a therapist and not online. 

From kelly

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me Kelly.  That's very encouraging because I'm finding that it's getting through the day to day routine without being anxious over everything that I feel I need some help with.  I hope that your partner continues to progress and I thank you once again.

• Posted

I'm sorry to post this on someone else's discussion but really he felt better? I had one CBT session the day before. I came back even more depressed. They make you talk! I'm trying to forget. I want to move on but she told me I have to face my negative thoughts and remove them. That requires thinking about them right? I don't even understand what CBT is about. In fact I told my mother I can't go again. She went to my psychiatrist yesterday and he wants me to call him. In fact I came to this website to ask someone whether or not I should call.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.